c h a p t e r 1 3 : d o u b t

L o u i s a

"The story starts lying in the dark broken and bruised." - Dreaming Alone, Against the Current ft. Taka

How do I tell

Whether it is real

Or it's just another game

Of make belief?

*

It's just another day.

Wake up, get ready, go for breakfast in the kitchen. On most days, Basil will already be down, sometimes getting ready for work, sometimes getting ready to drag me out with him for another adventure.

And I appreciate the distractions of being out of the house but I can't help but wonder if what Sam had told me that evening had any truth to it at all.

We will never truly know if anyone's intentions are pure. Whether they're just a good liar or whether they actually lived through the tales they tell.

All we can do is trust that what they say and do are genuine.

"Are you all set to go?" Basil asks as I walk into the kitchen just past noon.

I'm shocked Basil stayed in the kitchen all morning waiting for me, considering I slept in today. I couldn't seem to fall asleep last night. I tossed and turned and stayed up thinking about everything, until sunrise.

My hand automatically reaches into my sling bag, fumbling for my phone and wallet to ensure I didn't forget them, letting out a small sigh of relief when I found them.

He opens the door and gestures for me to go out. I exit the house, with Basil following from behind me, closing the door as he leaves.

"So, where are we headed to today?" I ask, walking down the now familiar road towards the shops. "Also, you remembered to bring the keys, right? Cause I think I left them on my bedside table."

He chuckles. "I was actually thinking of taking a road trip and showing you around the next town over but you woke up late so there's no time for that now."

"I'm sorry," I reply, my cheeks flushed in embarrassment. "I didn't mean to."

He smirks, ruffling my hair playfully. "I was kidding. There's nothing to be sorry for. Everyone sleeps in now and then," he says. "And yes, I brought my keys."

"Good."

"So now we'll go for lunch at this coffee shop I really like and find a way to kill some time before heading to the fun fair at the fair grounds tonight. Maybe I'll take you to the arcade. We'll see."

"Wait. There's a fun fair?"

He nods. "Yup. It's only here for the weekends."

"Cool."

I steal a glance at Basil as we walk. He has his head down, fixated on the ground, as he walks, heavier than usual, almost like something is weighing him down. His skin is darker now, tanner, from when I first met him. It's probably due to all the time he spent under the sun from his internship. The usual glint in his eyes is gone and is replaced with a very guarded look.

I wonder what happened. But I don't dare to ask. I don't want to intrude.

I wouldn't like it if people asked me how I was doing all the time. And I'm glad they never do. But, I guess, that comes with years of practice, years of constantly pushing people away, years of keeping up with this facade that everything in my life is picture perfect.