Chapter 4: Deal

Silver

Ethan Hills, Black Crescent High School

8th September 2315, Tuesday 3:52p.m.

"Hey! Are you even paying attention?" Aimi's shrill voice hollers yet again as I let out an unrestrained yawn of boredom.

"Yeah, yeah... ionic compounds. I got it."

"Well if you're so confident, why don't you try the next question?"

I have to say, I'm rather impressed with her. Not even the toughest gangsters of Aplium City has the ability to drain my life energy as effectively as the President. I've never felt so bored in my life than hearing her talk about chemistry.

Aimi made a compulsory after-class schedule in order to revise on the things that have been taught for the day. She said that we'll be studying for two hours in our empty classroom once the last lesson of the day has been concluded, and this will go on for the rest of the semester.

Staring at the next question, I immediately feel another chunk of my life force drain away. Aimi is truly a monster. To her, all she sees are logical answers to logical questions. To me, all I see on the paper are random letters and numbers accompanied by blank spaces next to them.

"Uh... this is science... and not math, right? Cuz' I see numbers."

"Geez..." Aimi rolls her eyes and sighs. "We're doing chemistry, so yes, it's science. These are just some of the most basic chemical reactions. Do we have to go through the fundamentals again?"

"You know what?" I raise my hands in surrender before getting up from my seat. "You win. I can't do this. You're smart. I'm dumb. Bye."

"I'm aware of that. But I'm here to make you less dumb than you currently are, Silver."

"Nope. I'm outta here. See ya' nerd."

With that, I hook my bag over my shoulder before heading out of the classroom with a backward wave. As I do so, I can hear Aimi shoving her chair back and urgently packing her things.

"H-hey! We've barely even started on our session!" she angrily calls to me. "Where do you think you're going?"

Ignoring her, I continue to make my way down the hallway with only the entrance of the school in mind. The footsteps advance towards me with growing intensity until finally, a force firmly grips me on my shoulder.