Chapter 5: Midnight

Aimi

Delta Sector, Rancouver Highway

8th September 2315, Tuesday 11:55p.m.

Four cars lie in front of the starting line, with Silver's resting behind a white sports car and another black vehicle beside Damon's vehicle. We're at the peak right now, so it'll be a downhill race for the initial part. However, I'm not sure about the rest of the route since I've never really ventured out to this part of the city before. My stomach begins to twist in knots as the seconds tick by one after another.

"Scared?" Silver murmurs.

"What do you think!" I'm almost screaming now. "A street race as a 16 year old? Really? How much experience do you even have in driving?"

"You can always have a little faith, y'know..."

"My life is at stake here! Faith? Uuurmph..." I lean back against the seat, slapping my forehead in exasperation. "Just... drive safe, okay? I don't plan on dying just yet."

However, Silver's expression doesn't look as if my words are leaving any positive effects on him. In fact, his expression now appears to be even more dangerous than before. Suddenly, I'm almost regretting that I even complained to him in the first place. It seems that my words have made him even more excited to win the race and of course, drive faster.

A rhythmic series of bleeps sounds from the dashboard. Silver then taps one of the buttons on the screen of the mini-computer between us, and the map in front of me suddenly disappears before being replaced by another holographic screen. This time, a young, western boy with black hair can be seen on the other side.

"Yo, boss," the cheerful boy chirps.

"Talk to me."

"Got you some info on your competition. Wait, is that..."

"Yeah, yeah..." Silver rolls his eyes. "She's riding shotgun with me. Aimi, meet Dino. Dino. Aimi."

"Heya!" Dino beams at me, but his expression soon becomes serious again, "All righty boss. Takayanagi Rokurou. He's riding a Nirvana Corvette, S8000."

"Save me the technical terms and get to their weak points, will you?"

"All right, all right. A 4.5 littre 9A11X I4 Turbo-charged engine... against your car? Based on his default model, he's gonna do better in a straightway. A little, anyways. But his exit-speed around tight corners should be worse. Best to tackle him in the hairpins at the end of the race. Just keep up till then, 'kay?"