The Screaming Silence

"I'm sorry, but I don't know what you mean...Mike already told you what happened," I say slowly, trying to rid my throat of the lump that seemed to grow in it, making my nerves become more of an external issue than internal.

Dr. Stevens looked deeply at me, seeming to pierce the truth in my soul with his eyes. He gave me that kind of feeling that he knew, that he knew everything, but he wouldn't spill it out because he wanted to hear it from me first. Problem was, I wasn't going to tell. Because I knew if I did, I'd be in for a hell of trouble when I returned home; and I couldn't deal with that right in that moment.

Nevertheless, he persevered and broke his stare with me only to let out a sigh and look back up again, taking off his glasses and setting his clipboard down on the desk with the monitors."Look, Demi," Dr. Stevens started, folding his hands and leaning in closer to me,"I've been in this profession for many years, but I've been in this world even longer. And, in that time, I have experienced things most people would never dream of seeing. I've witnessed the stupidity of people that leads to their ruin, and I have experienced the will of people that paved its way for miracles. I know when people are sincere. I know when they are lying. And, I know when they are hiding something in fear of the consequences. And you, Demi, are afraid. I am here to help you, but you need to help me first in order to help yourself. So, please, tell me what really happened. I don't believe for a minute you two were out hiking and that's what caused your concussion and left this glass in your face."

His hand gestured up to my face and he removed a piece of glass. Immediately, I felt my face flush white and I began to panic. Mike had missed a piece of glass; our story was starting to unravel.

"And don't tell me you coincidentally fell on a glass bottle while falling down the hill you were climbing. Your husband's breath smelt strongly of alcohol. Technically, I could have him arrested right now for bringing you here while he was still under the influence. But I want to give you a chance to tell your story first. I know more than you think."

With raised eyebrows, Dr. Stevens waited for a response. But I remained silent. All I've ever wanted these past few months was for someone to just listen to me and show that they might actually care. And now that the opportunity had arisen, one I never thought I would get, I couldn't seem to find the worlds to explain.

"Alright, listen. I am going to go make sure the scan room is ready and I'll get some stuff to clean up your face. It'll leave you some time to think about things. Just relax and be ready when I come back."

He slowly stood up from the rolling stool and slipped out of the room, leaving me to myself. Once Dr. Stevens had stepped outside, I heard an immediate grumble from a voice I was certain belonged to Mike.

"Can I come back in now?"

"Not quite yet. There are still some things we need to go over. Just wait out here until I call you in," was Dr. Stevens calm reply.

Before he even spoke, I knew his statement frustrated Mike and he came right back with,"that's my wife in there. I think I deserve to see her."

"Patience, Mr. Johnson. We're almost done and then you can both be on your way back home."

After that, I heard footsteps that appeared to be walking further and further away, leaving me to assume Dr. Stevens had dismissed himself and went to go do what he needed to have done. Feeling a little more relaxed, I decided to lay down and shut my eyes for a little, beyond exhausted from the past twenty four hours. I just took in deep breaths and tried to calm myself down, like the doctor had said. However, I had no intention on thinking about what I would say to him when he returned. There was simply nothing to say.

The silence and my time alone didn't last long as Mike decided to take it upon himself to walk in, despite the doctor's lear orders not to. By the expression on his face, I could tell he wasn't pleased by the fact that he felt so in the dark.

"What the hell is going on in here?" Mike started off, aggressively.

"Nothing. He's just giving me an evaluation and making sure there's a spot open for a ct scan. Just relax. There's nothing to worry about."

I tried soothing him, but it seemed useless. Mike had his mind made up and there was nothing I could do to change it. Once again, the anger Mike had managed to suppress all day was returning and becoming uncontrollable. I hoped, for his sake, that he would keep it together and not make a scene. From Dr. Stevens message, it was clear Mike didn't need any more evidence against him. It was pointless to tell Mike that myself; he wasn't in the mood to listen.

"So he just had to give you an evaluation that I couldn't be in the room for? I'm your husband, Demi, not your father. There's nothing he could possibly be doing with you in here that I am not allowed to witness. Or maybe, the reason why I couldn't come in had nothing at all to do with what I would see, but it's because YOU TWO WERE TALKING ABOUT ME! I may have made some stupid mistakes, but that doesn't mean I'm stupid. I know very well what was going on in here and I know the only reason why I was kept outside is because he was interrogating you about me and what happened, wasn't he?"

Mike's temper was rising and I just sat there and stared at them with a dumbstruck expression on my face. I could feel my face turning whiter and whiter as I felt my body become colder and colder. "Mike, I-"

"WASN'T HE?!"

He had officially lost it with his last billow and he exemplified the growing anger that was ever so apparent with a blow to my cheek. Raging with spite, his face had turn to a purplish hue and his chin trembled with fury in a clear attempt to restrain the adrenaline inside him. A single tear slid down my cheek.

I nodded slowly in shame, whispering out in an airy voice,"yes."

From the corner of my eye, I saw Mike begin to pace the floors of the room, clearly trying to figure out a plan, muttering to himself,"Unbelievable.. Unbelievable..."

His hands raked through his hair, and I just sat in silence. As the seconds past, I grew increasingly uncomfortable and my conscience began to take over my every thought. Finally, I blurted out,"You know you're not supposed to be in here. If Dr. Stevens comes back and you're still here, then-"

I was cut off by the clenching of my jaw with Mike's firm grasp. He leaned down, coming face to face with me so that nothing but a millimeter separated our faces, and said with a devious smile,"and then what, Demi? Tell me what will happen."

But I had no time to respond as we were both interrupted by the opening of the door. "Oh, I'll tell you what's going to happen."

Sorry for the lack of updates recently; I've been volunteering all week so I had little time to write. I'm also sorry for the brevity of this chapter because it was really only half of it. I just wanted to get something out to you all. Anyway, please leave me feedback in the comments and feel free to vote so I know you all are enjoying it. I hope you all are having a great summer/great kick off to the school year. Bye!