Unanswered Questions

"Alright, deal. I won't tell anyone you told me. So, how long have I really been here? What's today's date? And don't beat around the bush about it. I can handle it," I said seriously, sitting up from the bed. "And can we turn on a light in here? It's so dark."

"Woah, woah, woah. If I'm going to tell you anything, you're gonna lay down like the doctor said. I'm not breaking every rule he has. And, with that being said, I can't turn on a light, that's the whole purpose of those thick drapes. It's actually mid-day. If the doc wanted there to be light in here, he would've opened the drapes. He wants to ease you in with everything. He doesn't want too much stimulation or stress. And, considering you have a headache and just woke up, I don't think he's going to have those curtains completely drawn anytime soon," John explained, looking concerned, but with more of a caring expression, not so much worried.

John, unlike so many of the men in my life, actually seemed to believe in me and didn't make me feel weak and unimportant. It seemed that, at least in this moment, he had the most faith in me; and that was comforting. Still, with that being said, he was a very cautious person, even with me; and he wasn't one to follow rules loosely. So, needless to say, getting information from him took some persistence. But I needed answers and I wasn't about to give up anytime soon.

"Fine, I'll lay down. But you still haven't answered my question. What's today's date?" I said, starting to get slightly irritable. I could feel my patience thinning and I was getting really hungry, making me feel like a hormonal teenager again.

"You have to promise not to freak out, okay? If your heart rate starts going up, I'm not going to be allowed to come back in here, understand? Alright, well,"John let out a deep sigh before continuing," it's been three weeks. It's September 9th."

Three weeks? How could I be out for three weeks? Did I really get hurt that bad? I still couldn't recollect what really happened. Thoughts flooded my mind but I just couldn't get over the fact that I was out for three weeks.

"The doctors put you in a medically induced coma. They needed time, and so did your body. It helped with the recovery process though. Your head injuries have been healed, as far as they can tell, and you've been doing fine since you woke up. They should be able to release you soon enough."

John continued to talk but I tuned him out. They needed time. Who is 'they'? And why would they need three weeks time? I know I was hurt pretty bad, but it wasn't that serious, was it? I couldn't think of a possible explanation of why I would be out so long. And I also couldn't think of an explanation of why, if I really had been out for three weeks, Mike would still be on a business trip. Nothing was making sense, things weren't adding up, and I was getting frustrated. What weren't they telling me?