Being Rescued...Again

I took in a deep breath and began thinking of what I should tell this doctor to get him off my case. But soon my emotions took over and began to overwhelm me as I felt the tears rise up in my face and my lip began to tremble. "I just can't tell you," I managed to choke out as the tears came rolling down my face and I placed my head in my hands in shame.

"What is it that you're afraid about, Demi? Is it him? Is it Mike? Because he can't hurt you here. You're completely safe."

Dr. Stevens' voice was calming, yet I still didn't feel comforted enough. When Mike and I got married, we moved away from all of my family and friends into what I was expecting to be neutral territory. Instead, I found out that Mike already knew many people in town, and he planned to make friends with many more. He had a whole army of support; I, on the other hand, was completely alone. There was no use in picking a fight against Mike, especially this one. There was absolutely no evidence to convict him of anything but driving over the limit. All anyone could go on is what I would have to say, and the whole town would back up Mike that he was innocent. None of it was worth the fight.

"I appreciate your concern, Dr. Stevens, but there is nothing going on here. All is well and I am fine. My head is feeling much better already and I feel okay to go home, if you would let me. Of course I'll have to stop by the police department first to get Mike. Thanks for your concern, really, but everything is fine."

I tried to make my conviction sound as if I was strong and confident in all that I was saying; but I think he and I both knew that I was more trying to convince myself of what I said than I was trying to convince him. Nevertheless, Dr. Stevens seemed to realize it was a hopeless cause and stood up to dismiss me.

"Alright, Demi. Just know that I'm here if you ever need me. Just call the office if you have any questions or concerns. Take care of yourself."

He opened the door for me as I stepped out and watched me walk down the hall until I disappeared out the back entrance. I had no intention of calling back here. I just wanted to get out and get home. Unfortunately, it would be a long walk home. I never got my license; Mike didn't want me to get one. So I was left to walk all the way back home. I just prayed no one would recognize me and tell Mike; it was a fight just waiting to happen.

It was a Saturday, so of course the traffic was fairly busy with parents taking their kids to sporting events and families going out for the day to have fun and go to parties. Everyone was going about their usual business. I was hoping everyone would be so caught up in their lives that they wouldn't even notice me walking on the path by the side of the road, or at least hoping they wouldn't care enough to say something. But, as usual, luck wasn't on my side.

After only walking a mile or so, a black sports car pulled up next to me. As it slowed down, I saw the tinted windows roll down and a voice called out from the car,"Demi! Why is it that whenever I see you, you're always walking, never driving?"

Cautiously looking into the car I noticed it was no other than John, the same guy who payed for my groceries a few days ago.

"Hi, John," I laughed, walking closer to his car as he kept pace with me.

"Where are you walking to? Let me drive you there. Come in and I'll give you a ride."

"You don't need to drive out of your way for me. I'm fine. But thank you," I dismissed, hoping he would continue on his way.

"Demi, you're out of town by quite a few miles. Let me just drop you off closer to where you're going, at least. You won't be taking me out of my way at all. But, if you don't come in now, time will be ticking away and I'm not going to leave until you say yes, so you might as well get in now."

John had that smile that could bring comfort to anyone, from a child with a scraped knee to the dying elderly. And unlike the doctor's failed attempts, he actually did put me at ease. So, I gave in and opened the door to the passenger seat, hoping in as he drove off down the road.

Once I was in, John turned to me and said,"So, what were you doing all the way out he-wait, Demi, what happened to your face?"

I sighed, as I was hoping the dark night would shadow all traces of what happened. But clearly the lights inside John's sports car gave me away, leaving me no choice but to tell the truth of what I was doing so far away from home.

"I was walking back from the hospital. I fell while hiking, and we wanted to make sure I didn't get a concussion again."

"We?" Mike asked.

Feeling relieved that he seemed to have bought the story, I put my guard down and began to relax.

"Uhm, my husband, Mike, and I."

"Mike? What does he do for a living?" John asked as we continued down the long road.

"He's in business, trying to start up a company," I explained, hoping John didn't know who he was.

"Oh, that sounds interesting. I don't think I've met him before. Are you all new to town?"

John was so easy to talk to. If it were Mike and I together in the car, it would be complete silence the whole way home. John, however, found a way to keep the conversation going; and he actually sounded like he genuinley cared about what I had to say.

"Just this year, yeah. We moved right after we got married."

As I finished talking, Mike turned the corner, making his way down the road by the markets and the police station.

"Why are you pulling up to the station?" I asked nervously.

"Oh, I have to talk to someone over there. I completely forgot to ask you where you live."

"Oh, here is fine. My husband is actually here with his friend too."

"So how are you two? You and your husband?" he asked as we entered the parking lot.

I let out a sigh, saying with a smile,"we're good. We have a nice life here and he has a good job. There's not much more we could want."

It was a total lie, well the last part, at least. But John didn't have to know that. He didn't know my husband, nor did I plan on him knowing him, and he really didn't know me, for all intensive purposes. So, a little lie like that wasn't too bad or too significant; nor was it the first lie I had told that night.

"He's one lucky man, Mike."

Now, John had fully parked into the station and he took out his keys, turning to me as he spoke. I smiled, feeling like someone cared about me for the first time in what seemed like a lifetime.

"Thank you, John. You've been a real help to me this week. I really wish I could make it up to you."

"I only have one request," he started off with a smile.

"And what's that?"

He opened his door and stood up outside of his car, and I did the same. "Be happy, and don't forget how special you are."

His remark took me off guard, leaving me speechless and flabbergasted. Without thinking and letting my impulse take full drive, I ran over to him and hugged him,"you're so sweet, John. I hope you find someone special to you too."

"I think I already have."

Curious as to whether I knew the girl or not, I asked excitedly,"who?!" But John never had the chance to respond as a familiar, grumbling voice said,"Demi, what are you doing here? And who is this?"

I hope you all are enjoying this story so far! Please leave me feedback in the comments and don't forget to vote!