Make-up, Maybe?

Startled, I turned around immediately and saw Mike standing right behind me, his left should in line with my right. I silently thanked God that this all was occurring outside at night; the chances of John getting a good glance at Mike was quite slim.

"Mike, this is John. He was just taking me home-" I began in a desperate attempt to explain the situation for what it was.

"I've heard enough. Let's get you home,"Mike grumbled abruptly, taking me by the arm and not even acknowledging John.

I resisted Mike's forcefully grab, trying to slow him down so I could at least say goodbye to John. Realizing my efforts would inevitably fail, I turned behind me and mouthed,"thank you," to John, and he gave a silent wave in acknowledgment. Hopefully, he understood I wasn't trying to be rude. Mike, on the other hand, didn't seem to care about any of it. "What's the rush. Your car is all the way back at the hospital. We have to go back and ask someone to drop us off."

Seeming to ignore everything I just said, Mike dragged me along with more force. "No, Demi. I had one of my friends already swing by and tow it over. Our car is in the lot. It's been a long day and we're going home. You need your rest, and so do I."

Once we got to the car, Mike let go of his grab on my arm and we got in. The engine seemed to start roaring almost as soon as I took a seat, and he sped off before I even had the chance to put my seatbelt on.

"Well that was embarrassing,"Mike sighed, making a left turn into our neighborhood.

"Mike, I'm sorry, but it's not what it looked like," I replied anxiously, not wanting to get in another fight.

"Demi, I'm not talking about that. That's whatever. I'm talking about having to go to the station in front of all of my friends. I felt like a total idiot."

He pulled into the drive and then we just sat in complete silence. After a few moments, Mike turned to me and said softly,"Look, I'm sorry about today. I'm sorry for hurting you and embarrassing you. I promise I will never do it again. Forgive me?"

Mike gave me that look, that very look that made me first fall in love with him. He had those eyes that seemed to pierce your soul and he just looked like he really cared. He had a way of working over your emotions that no matter what you wanted to feel, you believed him and couldn't help but forgive him.

"I forgive you," I breathed, not wanting to give in but not being able to help it.

And he reached in and kissed me. And then again. And then again and more deeply and he wouldn't let go. I broke the kiss to say,"wait, so you're not mad at me?"

"Demi, of course not. This was all my fault. I take full responsibility. Now let's get inside and we can finish what we started in our room."

Mike opened his door and walked up our stairs to the door, putting his key in to unlock. I paused for a moment, trying to comprehend what just happened, and soon realized I would never make sense of it and I should just go with it while it lasted. Following him in through the door, we started making way to our room with him picking me up and carrying me, giving kisses the whole way.