A Slip, a Spell, and Some Love as Well

"So," I said, making my way through the hall," This is my room. And this," I motioned towards the bedroom at the end of the hallway," Is yours."

I stood at the doorway as my mom walked in, John carrying her other bag in behind her.

"There's a bathroom in the room next door with towels and soap under the sink," John explained, setting the bag on the bed.

My mom was wandering around the room, stopping by the window when she was done. "It's a beautiful neighborhood you chose, John. Is this where you grew up?"

She turned around, ending her gaze out the window as she looked at John, who was standing next to me. "No, actually. Our house was burned down. We never lived over here together. I needed to get away, so a friend suggested here. It's safe, and it was close to my work at the time. So I took my buddy's townhouse when he put it up for sale. And now we're here."

"I'm sorry about the fire, John. I know that must've been hard. Sounds like you have good friends, though."

"Yeah, I did," John replied, glancing up from the floor.

"Woah," I gasped, feeling my face flush as I slid down the wall to the floor. My vision grew blurry and I started to have the feelings of faintness again.

"Demi, what's wrong?" I heard my mom's worried voice.

John crouched down beside me, putting his arm around me so I knew he was there. Perspiration began to build on my forehead and I closed my eyes.

"It's been a busy day today and Demi was just a little excited is all. She just needs to give her brain a break. The doctors cleared her but said to take it easy and have little breaks throughout the day. She just needs to lay down a bit, right?" John explained.

John gently placed my head in his lap, brushing away the strands of hair from my face as I tried to regain my consciousness.

"Are they doing anything to fix this?" my mom asked, and I could tell she moved in closer.

"There's not much of anything they can prescribe her. They don't want her on much medicine anyway because of the baby. Their biggest solution is just rest. But with the excitement of today, her brain was working a little overtime. It's nothing a nap can't fix."

As I felt the flush in my face disappear, I began to open my eyes and watch as things slowly came into focus.

"You want me to carry you into bed so you can sleep," John asked in a whisper as I looked into his rich brown eyes.

"You know, I'm a little tired myself, Demi. Maybe we should just call it a night," my mom suggested as she saw me begin to rebuttal.

"Okay," I muttered reluctantly, slowly starting to pick my head up.

"Take it easy, hun. I don't like seeing my baby girl sick," my mom smiled, standing up from her crouched position on the floor.

As John helped me up, I smiled and said, "I'm fine, Mom. I promise. Just a little light headed is all."

"If this was your attempt to get out of going to bed, you failed, Demi. I've known your tactics since you were a little girl. Go get some sleep and I'll see you in the morning, alright?" my mom prodded, raising her eyebrows in a way only a mother would.

"Alright."

"Now come here and give your mom a hug."

With arms wide open, I saw little buds of tears in my mom's eyes as she pulled me in to one of her warm hugs. Her head fell just as my shoulder formed, making it a perfect place for her to rest her head on and pull me in closer, taking in the scent of my hair.

"I've really missed you, baby. Not a day went by that I didn't think of you. I had everyone praying for you. I love you, you know that, right? I'm just so glad you're back in my arms where you belong," my mom poured out through the mumble of restrained tears.

I squeezed her tight, smelling the fragrance of her skin that was distinctly my mom's and that brought me back to home instantaneously. "I love you too, Mom. More than you know."

I waited until my mom let go and we said goodnight. As she walked to her bed, John held out his arm for me to balance with as he led me to my room, making sure I didn't have another spill before I could get into bed.

"You know, you haven't really had much to eat today. Can I get you anything? Maybe a sandwich and some water?" John asked as I slid into bed.

I pulled the blankets up 'til the tops were under my armpits and I put my glasses on my side table. "That would be great. Thanks, John."

"Alright, I'l be right back," he said, making his way to the door.

"Oh, and one more thing?" I asked, stopping John in his tracks. "Do you think she still loves me?"

John didn't say anything for a moment, but instead stood right where he was and looked deep into my eyes. "Of course she does. She couldn't be any happier right now knowing that you are okay."

And, as I smiled gratefully, he left to make me that sandwich he had promised.