Chapter 3

I woke up, not knowing where I was. I looked around, terrified for a second, and then realized. Oh yeah, the hospital. I sighed and sat up in the uncomfortable bed.

"Dad," I whispered softly. He was asleep in the chair next to the bed. He woke up, startled and looked around. He must've realized where he was because his look of relaxation turned to that of sadness. That was the look I knew so well. I looked at him and smiled weakly. He returned my smile with the same sadness in his own. People say I look like my father. Well, looked. That was...before. We both had similar thick brown hair. That always made us laugh because we aren't technically related. He's my step-dad, but my actual dad died when I was a kid. Therefore, Pat has always been my dad. 

"How ya doin' baby girl?" my dad asked as he sat up in his chair.

I coughed and nodded. He knew that meant I hurt. And I did hurt. I always hurt.

"Do you wanna walk around a little?"

I nodded at him and he helped me get up. We walked around my room and he sat me in a plush chair near the window. I loved to sit near the window and watch the sunrise.

"You're beautiful, Charlie girl," my father said as he knelt in front of my chair. He grasped my hand tightly. I forced a smile and nodded. Parents always can see through the appearance. Unfortunately, I know that I wasn't exactly hot anymore. I guess the constant vomiting and lack of hair making it hard to look pretty. 

"I'm gonna go get some coffee." He grumbled as he straightened himself.

"Okay." I managed to squeak out. Pat grimaced and kissed my forehead. He had been taking this so hard. Ever since the accident that killed my mother, he had never been the same. I was in the car with my mom when she drove head-on into a pickup truck, killing her and the other driver. Somehow, I'd lived. Well, not somehow. I knew how but how I knew was crazy. Blah, talk about tongue twister. While in the hospital, after the accident, they ran tests on me. It had been discovered that I had cancer. Yeah, lost my mom, got in a car accident, AND I have cancer. I'm pretty much a lucky charm. Oh, and in case you're wondering, the cancer is fatal.

I sighed and looked out the window. I cried a bit as I watched the people walking. I didn't want my dad to see me cry. He had had such a hard time with all of this. No one understood what I was going through like he did. Not just that, Pat stayed with me. He didn't need to, but he adopted me and took me on as his responsibility. Basically, he's the best and I couldn't be more grateful to him.

I wiped my wet face and instead, tried to put on a brave one. I knew I wouldn't live much longer. It's just something you feel. I couldn't tell you how I knew I would die soon but I did. And I was so scared.

As I looked out the window, I saw a boy staring up at me from outside. He was very handsome. He wore a black, shortsleeved T-shirt, dark jeans and grey converse. As I stared at him, I realized he had was smiling at me. He waved at me and I smiled. And I waved back. At that moment, my father walked in. I looked at him and then looked back. The boy was gone. I sighed, took a deep breath, and made a brave face once more.