Chapter 18

I woke up again, in the cage, my nose filled with the unkind smell of sewage. My brain pounded against my skull. I sat up slowly, rubbing my head. I blinked my eyes a few times, trying to adjust to the black around me.

"Hello?" I croaked into the dark.

"Shhh." I heard a voice say back.

"Who's there?!" I squeaked.

"What do you not understand about 'shh'?!"

I took the voice's advice and stopped talking, hoping they'd answer me eventually. The voice sounded female.

"Who are you?" The voice asked a few minutes later.

"My name is Charlie." I replied crawling over to the bars where the voice was coming from. I peered through the cage, trying to see if I could see the person.

"I'm Marge," Marge responded. I still couldn't see her.

"Where are we?" I whispered.

"I dunno. I dunno how long I've been here. I tried to put together a schedule based on when the food comes but it's never at the same time. And I'm always asleep before it comes." Marge answered me.

"Food comes?" I asked, suddenly feeling my stomach rumble.

"Yes. There's probably some in yours, too." I looked around and saw a plate with bread and dried meat with a glass of water. I devoured the food quickly and chugged it down with the water.

"You have a power, dontcha?" Marge asked me as I finished the bread.

I sat up in surprise. "How did you know that?"

"I do, too. I think that's why we're here. There used to be a girl in your cage but a voice came and then her voice was gone. She had a power," Marge replied, oddly calm.

"Wait, Marge, a voice?" I interrupted.

"Yes, my love, a voice. One you're quite familiar with," another voice hissed from the shadows. It wasn't Marge's. And the voice was very right. I knew who this voice belonged to.

"Macayah."