Chapter 11

I knew that Charlie was beautiful but when she looked like this, she was beyond gorgeous.

I pulled away and smiled. I wanted to kiss her. I wanted to kiss her so badly. My smile faded. I knew I couldn't. The first time I kissed her was a mistake. She couldn't stay down here. She would be so unhappy. I couldn't take away her beautiful light, even if she was my soulmate. I knew that falling in love with her this fast was not good. 

"Who's that?" She asked, reaching for the picture that sat at my bedside. In it was me and a girl, smiling happily at the camera.

I grimaced. Charlie looked up at me, confused. I stared at the picture, clenching my jaw. That was something I definitely did not want to talk about. I wasn't sure if I was ready to share that part of me yet.

I put the picture gently face down.

"Luke..." Charlie whispered. I felt her hand touch my shoulder and I pulled away. "Who is it?"

"No one." I whispered. I turned around again to face Charlie.

"She's beautiful." Charlie said, looking at the picture on the bed. I breathed slowly, trying to calm the pain.

"Her name is Kate." I murmured gently. I sat on the bed and ran my finger through my dark hair. I felt Charlie sit in front of me and caress my face. "Let's just say that her and I aren't on the best terms."

"Is she your sister?" Charlie asked.

I sighed. "Charlie, please. I really don't want to talk about this."

"Okay," Charlie said, holding her arm across her body.

"I'm sorry. I'll tell you one day, okay?" I pushed her hair behind her ear.

She nodded, looking down. I've never wanted to kiss someone more. 

"We should go to bed. You know, even the devil needs to sleep." I smiled, but it came out more like a grimace. Charlie nodded and followed me to a room. "You can sleep in here. Is it okay?"

Charlie nodded again, glanced at me, and closed the door behind her. I fell forward and put my forehead against the door with my forearm holding me up. 

"Goodnight, beautiful." I whispered. "I'm sorry."