Chapter 17

I spun around to see Michael grinning at me, a spark of mischief in his eyes. I crossed my arms and grimaced. This was my backup?

"Really?" I turned to God. God shrugged and smiled.

"C'mon, man. It won't be that bad." Michael said, waltzing over to me and throwing a muscular arm over my shoulder. I quickly shrugged him off.

"Michael, let's just say that there's a reason that I'm down there and you're up here. It's so we'll stay away from each other," I snapped, rolling my eyes.

"Do you want help or not?" Michael asked, his face turning serious. "You're never going to get her out if you go in alone."

I felt a pang of guilt. I knew Michael was just trying to help but something about him made me wary. I mean, ever since he'd been asked to work upstairs, he'd kind've turned into a dick. "Yes, I need your help," I decided, dropping my shoulders in defeat.

"Okay, then," Michael said, crossing his arms.

I turned to God, who'd been studying the exchange between Michael and I. "So, do we get like an A-team or something?" I heard Michael chuckle behind me and a quick smirk flashed across my face.

"Yes. I will also have two angels escort you. Uriel and Gabriel." God replied.

I nodded. "We need to figure out a plan so would you please call them here?"

A split-second later, Uriel and Gabriel were standing before me. Uriel was a nice guy with blonde, curly hair and blue eyes. He looked angelic, very much like Michael. Gabriel was a bit of a smartass with brown hair and brown eyes. But I had seen Gabriel in action, and I knew he was a kickass warrior.

"Thanks for coming," I greeted them, grabbing their forearm in a handshake. Uriel nodded as he took my forearm and Gabriel sent me a look of irritation after he let go.

"Chill, Gabe," Michael warned, walking to stand next to me.

"My name is Gabriel," he corrected, "And all due respect, Father, but I don't believe that this girl is worth it," Gabriel insisted, disgust clear on his face. He said 'girl' as though it tasted like slime. Never have I wanted to punch someone more. Obviously my body agreed because I felt my fist clench.

Michael shot me a look. "Look, Gabriel. This girl is VERY important to us. She could be the demise of us all. She is also important to some very important people."

"Which is why we should let Macayah keep her! If she's such a danger to us, why is she involved with Lucifer?! I say let Macayah kill her." Gabriel said, crossing his arms over his chest.

"And give Macayah that power instead?!" I growled, taking a step towards him. I felt Micheal grab my arm, holding me back.

"We can take Macayah. The girl is unpredictable. She does not have the knowledge, nor strength to control her power," Gabriel snarled, taking a step towards me.

"Gabriel, you are out of line," God said softly, silencing the room. His composure was calm but His eyes gave away his true anger towards his archangel.

"I apologize, Father." Gabriel mumbled, bowing his head.

"Now," God said, clasping his hands together, "this girl is crucial for multiple reasons. Whomever holds her power is the person who has control of the universe. She is that important. Also, she's Lucifer's soulmate. I don't believe you understand just how trying his job is. He deserves all the happiness that he can have and if that's what this girl gives him, so be it."

There was a collective 'yes, Father' from the three angels and God smiled at me. I gave him a grateful nod.

"Okay, we need a plan." Michael said.

I glanced at Gabriel and Uriel, hoping they'd have some input. Gabriel shrugged but Uriel grinned. "I have one. It's a little bit crazy."

"Where we're going, that's exactly what we need," Gabriel said darkly.

Uriel turned to me. "Luc, how good are you at acting?"