The Reckoning

I apologise in advance for how poorly written this book is.

-

It was senior prank night and Valerie was currently stationed in front of hundreds of mouse traps. Caroline had pressured them all into taking part of this. Or at least that was the excuse Valerie gave for even turning up. Valerie's heart dropped when the door suddenly opened, the light blinding her for a moment as it was switched back on. A dozen or more mouse traps snapped into place, ruining their entire prank. "Oh come on! Seriously? Do you know how long it took to set this all up!" Caroline exclaimed, looking at Matt exasperatedly. Clearly he had completely forgotten all about prank night.

Before Valerie had the chance to voice her annoyance at the entire ordeal, Tyler voiced his own. "Forgot about senior prank night, huh?" He mused, raising his eyebrows at him. Matt looked around stunned as he spoke hesitantly, "Clearly." He gulped. The blonde teenager groaned, her arms flailing beside her as she spoke. "How could you forget? We've only been waiting for this since like freshman year." She exaggerated, annoyed since now they had to set up all of the traps again. 

Valeries sister, Elena, rolled her eyes in amusement. "Yeah, Matt. If I'm doing this, you're doing this." She retorted. Elena didn't want to do this whilst her boyfriend was currently missing. 

Matt winced inside, "I'm kind of surprised any of you are doing this." He voiced. Valerie thought the same. Although, she had been looking forward to this ever since her life started going downhill. So, when vampires started showing up in Mystic Falls. 

Bonnie chuckled, "Caroline's making us." She argued. Caroline glared at Bonnie, warning her to be quiet.

Caroline frowned, "We're about to be seniors. These are the memories that will stay with us forever, and if we don't..." She trailed off, losing hope as her friends clearly didn't share the same thoughts as her. Elena smiled sadly, continuing her speech: "And if we don't create these memories now, then what's the point of it all?" She finished, sharing a look of understanding with her friend. This was all Valerie wanted, to create new memories. Hopefully good ones.

Caroline huffed, "Go ahead and make fun, I don't care." 

Valerie smiled, almost regretting it as she did. "I'm with you, Care. We should let ourselves enjoy this one night." She agreed. While not everyone admitted to it, secretly they were having the same thoughts as Caroline. Ever since Klaus turned up everyone had been more aware of their surroundings. 

Tyler scoffed, alerting Valerie that he was actually still there. "You're all lame. And I've got ten more classrooms to prank." He remarked, stalking towards the door.

When Elena followed just after him, Bonnie's eyes widened in disbelief, hoping she wasn't leaving them to fix all of this alone. "Hey! Where are you going?" Bonnie questioned her. Elena smiled mischievously, "To superglue Alaric's desk shut. I'm making memories." Her idea causes Caroline to smile widely at her, exclaiming "i love you!" in return.

Valerie thought over it, and walked up to follow her sister. Supergluing Alaric's desk did sound like fun. "Hey where do you think you're leaving to?" Caroline exclaimed, looking defeated as she thought everyone was leaving to go home. Valerie just smiled reassuringly, "I'm going to help Elena, Care." The blonde nodded, telling herself everyone was using this day for their own happiness.

Once Valerie was allowed, she left the classroom and looked for Elena.

A muffled squirm echoed down the corridor, alerting Valerie as she thought about the worst case scenario; it was something that she had been doing constantly for the past year. Her instincts brought her quickly to her locker where her archery bow was hidden. Valerie always had her bow with her in case of emergency's - it was how she protected herself, especially since she found out about the supernatural side of the world. She walked up towards the double doors and opened them.