Chapter Sixteen

I sat on the couch in my living room with my mother who was looking at me expectantly from her place beside me. Spongebob's annoying laugh is playing on the television in the background and I didn't know what to do. She just asked if I liked Harry, and I don't feel ready to tell her about it yet. I wanted Harry to be my secret for just a bit longer.

I stared down at my hands, fidgeting them nervously. If it had been any other day, I would have been running my hand through my hair, but now I couldn't. I took a deep breath and let it out slowly, turning back to look at my mother who was still watching me.

Should I just tell her? Do I lie? How am I even going to put it into words?

I finally took another deep breath and began speaking. "Well, mom, I wanted to wait a bit longer so I could figure out how to tell you but-"

I was cut off by the sound of the doorbell ringing and I quickly stood up. "I'll get it."

My mom nodded silently and I turned and made my way over the door, turning the knob and opening it to reveal a man in a delivery uniform holding a bouquet of flowers.

"Uhh, yes?" I asked him. He glanced down at a tablet he held in his hand and looked back up at me.

"Are you Niall Horan?"

I nodded my head, "Yup, that's me."

The guy stuck the arm that was holding the flowers out to me. "This is for you, then. Can you sign this please?"

I took the flowers from him and signed my name on the tablet. He then told me to have a good day and turned to leave, so I shut the front door and walked into the living room with the flowers in my hand. My mother looked at me and then the flowers, and a knowing smile came on her face.

"Those are from Harry, am I right?" She asked.

I shrugged my shoulders and made my way back over to the couch. I was about to lay the bouquet on the coffee table when I noticed a little white card sticking out from the flowers. I pulled it from its place and I could feel my mother's eyes on me as I read the one short word that was on it.

Sorry. .xx

The two x's immediately told me that the flowers were from Harry, but what was he sorry for?

"What does it say?" I heard my mother ask from beside me. I handed her the card and she read it, her eyebrows furrowing in confusion.

"What is he sorry for?" She asked.

I shrugged my shoulders, "I have no idea." She held the card out to me and I took it from her grasp, putting it back in its place and set the flowers on the coffee table. I then looked at my mum once more and I was about to just confess about my feelings for Harry when she spoke up.

"Niall, I can see that you don't want to tell me something yet. You're not ready, and that's fine. But just remember that I'm your mother, so I have mother's intuition, and when you feel ready to tell me about how Harry swept you off your feet I'll be waiting." She winked at her last sentence and leaned forward to kiss my forehead before standing up.

"I love you, honey. Don't think something like being interested in someone of the same gender will change that. I'm going to go back into my room and finish reading my book; I only have a few chapters left."

I was blushing like crazy now, seeing as how my mother just told me that she knew I liked Harry all along. I didn't say anything and soon I was alone in the living room.

At least I wouldn't have the awkward conversation that most kids had when they told their parents they liked people of the same gender. My mom was truly amazing. I was especially glad that she didn't hate me or anything, and I felt a smile form on my face when I thought about it. I focused back on the television, realizing that I only had about twenty-five minutes until Harry was supposed to arrive.