Chapter 22

Pic of what the uniforms would look like^^^

Blake's POV:

The locker room was definitely busy. The players walked around looking for water to drink and towels to wipe the sweat off their faces. Then Coach called us to be quiet so he could give us our speech.

"Great jobs guys. You started and finished strong. I like the teamwork I'm seeing out there. Jonas, nice passes. Kerwinn, you're really working for it. I can feel it, guys, this is our year!" He said.

"Now let's get our butts back out there and get that trophy!" The boys all crowded towards Coach.

"ONE TWO THREE FALCONS!!"

The doors to the locker room opened and we ran back out onto the field again. Our side of the crowd was doing the wave and started cheering madly when they saw us. I definitely felt the energy in the air and a surge of adrenaline rushed through me. I was ready.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Maddie's POV:

The second half of the game started much like the first. The Pirates quickly took the lead again, but that seemed to just make our boys work even harder. Touchdowns were practically being made every five minutes and the scores started racking up.

Johnny and Luke stuck with their pleas to come with us to the student section and were quickly preoccupied. The other seniors I was around fawned over them and put them up front with the other senior boys and the best view.

The cheerleaders were barely landing on their feet before they jumped into their next routines. So many of them were new, I wondered exactly how long they were planning this.

Finally, it was the 4th quarter. My heart beat furiously as I watched in beyond all hope that we made a comeback like before. Like they were literal bundles of energy, our boys dodged, ran, tackled, and passed the ball like there was no tomorrow.

Then, it was the last five minutes. The ball was just snapped and Blake caught it before he even had the chance to run, one of the other players came from out of nowhere and tackled him to the ground.

I winced in sympathy pain as he was slammed to the ground. The refs blew the whistle and pulled the guy off of him.

When Blake didn't immediately get up I became worried. He was just lying there and some of his teammates were starting to walk over to him.

The ref turned him over and gestured to the coach. Coach Greyson sprinted onto the field and knelt beside Blake. After speaking for a while, the medics were called and helped Blake sit up. One of the medics took off his helmet and shined a light in his eye.

By then a small huddle had formed around him and I couldn't see a thing.

Then the crowd parted and the coach helped Blake off the field.

Oh, no.

The backup quarterback quickly put on his helmet and entered the game. The crowd whispered in worry and I couldn't help but feel disheartened. Blake had worked so hard to make this game count and now he wouldn't even be able to finish it.

The game continued but I wasn't really interested in watching anymore. My eyes flew down to where Blake was. He was quietly conversing with the medics but they were shaking their heads. I chuckled a little. Stubborn Blake was without a doubt trying to get back into the game.

After much more debate, the medics finally hesitated and looked towards each other. Then they said something to him and he quickly put his helmet back on. He ran over to the coach and said spoke quietly. Coach Greyson looked to the medics for confirmation and they nodded their heads.

The crowd, noticing these actions as well, started murmuring amongst themselves. Blake was now standing on the sidelines, waiting to get back in. The ref blew his whistle and Blake took his place back on the field.

From the very front of the student section, a young voice started chanting.

"KERWINN KERWINN KERWINN"

I chuckled. It could be none other than Johnny.

The chant was soon picked up by the crowd and spread like wildfire.

"KERWINN KERWINN KERWINN"

I glanced at the clock and bit back a gasp. There was even less time than the last time. The score was 48-46 and we only had 20 seconds to score.

My heart pounded so fast I thought I was going to have a heart attack.

The ref blew the whistle and it seemed like time was slowing down. The ball was snapped by the other team and the quarterback caught it. He looked around once and threw it in a random direction. Then Blake caught it.

Wasting no time, the ball was snapped in our possession and given to Blake. This time, he didn't even stop. He took the ball and ran for all he was worth. He seemed so light on his feet, dodging everything in sight. He was so close to the end zone. He had 7 seconds to make it 20 yards. He could do it.

One of the players chasing him broke away from the group, like the practice I watched yesterday and gained ground on Blake.

He ran until he was almost on Blake's heels.

I couldn't help it.

"LET'S GO BLAKE!" I screamed.

At my voice, he seemed to run a little faster, gain a little more ground.

3...... 2......

The other player jumped at Blake-

And missed.

Blake completely jumped over the players grabbing hands and fell into the end zone. Again.

The whistle blew and the buzzer sounded.

We had won the Falcon-Pirate Trophy for the first time in five years.