Chapter 25

Maddie's POV:

When Blake took my hand, I faltered for a second. My heart monitor picked up its pace and I cursed myself.

"Hey there," he said softly. His voice was enough to make me miss him. The concern on his face all but melted my heart.

"Hi," I rasped. My throat was dry and it was hard to speak. The nurse in the corner of the room quickly brought me some water and I took a small sip.

"Maddie, we're going to wait outside." Mrs. Knight said from my other side. I nodded, still keeping my eyes trained on Blake.

Then nurse also left the room and I suddenly felt nervous. I couldn't bring myself to look at him so just like the day he drove me home, I looked anywhere but him.

"I'm so glad you're okay," Blake said, sitting in the chair next to my bed. He never let go of my hand, and against my will, the wind-up monkey drummer I've grown used to began its familiar tune. Which was picked up by the heart monitor.

My face flushed.

"Me too."

"Maddie," Blake said.

"Look at me."

Slowly, I turned my head and locked eyes with him. His warm brown eyes met my own and a warm feeling ran through me.

"I'm so sorry about the football game-"

"It's okay-" I began.

"No. It's not. I let Tara take advantage of me and it hurt you in the process. I saw the look you gave me after I stopped her. It killed me to know that I was the cause of that pain." Blake took a breath and looked at our entwined hands.

"If I had just stopped her before. You wouldn't have gone away. You probably wouldn't have seen your Dad. Or I would've been there to protect you. But I wasn't. I watched as you got hurt and I wasn't able to stop him. You couldn't see." His voice hitched and I squeezed tighter. He began to rub circles over my knuckles which almost distracted me from his next words.

"I don't want that to happen again. I don't want to see you in pain and especially don't want to be the cause of it. I want to be able to protect you and get to know you. I want to learn about more than what you want to do in life. I want to know the little things. Your favorite color, book, movie, song, and anything and everything else."

I giggled at his words and smiled at him.

"Where is all this coming from? Less than a month ago, you were glaring at me in the hallways and calling me 'loser'. And what about Tara?" I said curiously. Not that I didn't like the change.

"That was before I knew you. I assumed when I shouldn't have and missed out on what a wonderful person you are. You do everything for your brother. When I first went to your old house, I saw your rooms. You made sure Johnny got everything he wanted and barely spent anything on yourself. You care about other things rather than what the latest fashion trends are or what the biggest gossip of the week is. That's not even covering half of it. And Tara?" He chuckled.

"She's just after me for my family money."

Wow. I didn't know he noticed all those things about me.

"Uh- Uh," I said, speechless.

"Wow," Blake said, suddenly leaning back.

"I didn't know my words could actually make a girl speechless." he chuckled, somewhat cockily.

I smiled. There was the Blake I knew.

"So I've been thinking. Maybe when you get better and you have everything sorted out, maybe we could get to know each other better?" Blake said.

I thought about it.

Then I knew.

"Come here," I said.

Blake stood up and came closer. Not close enough. I squeezed the hand he was still holding and let go. I gently ran my hand through his hair and pulled him closer until our lips met.

The kiss started off soft and sweet, and he gently braced the back of my neck, holding me tight.

Not close enough, my brain sang teasingly to me.

Holding on tighter, I wrapped both arms around his neck, pulling him close even though it tugged on my IV. My left arm cried out its protest but I was sure I was on pain medicine. He chuckled against my mouth, sending shivers down my spine.

When we pulled away I was more than a little breathless and shocked at the same time.

Madison Greggor just got her first kiss.

I blushed and looked at him shyly.

"I'm guessing that's a yes, then?"