Chapter 24

Blake's POV:

Question: How can the best night of my life quickly turn into the worst?

Answer: Not only did Maddie see Tara kiss me, but she got hurt within an inch of her life by her dad

It was like a nightmare I couldn't stop seeing. I wasn't fast enough. I couldn't protect her. I saw her dad running towards her and people calling out a warning but nothing went right. I watched as he hit her with his beer bottle and watched as it broke. How it disappeared into her. How she collapsed and her arm broke. I reached them just seconds after, tackling her Dad and knocking him to the ground. Mr. Knight quickly held him down and I turned my attention to Maddie, who was looking more lifeless by the second.

I ran to her side and felt where she hurt. She whimpered.

I sighed in relief. She was alive.

Then panic came even faster. Blood started seeping out from under her.

She passed out. The ambulance came not even two minutes later, the men jumping out and running straight towards us. They quickly pushed everyone back and checked over her, their movements becoming more frantic as they saw the severity of her condition.

A second ambulance showed up soon after and these men pulled a stretcher out of the back.

As they lifted her up, she suddenly woke up and went crazy, thrashing around. The medics gave her a sedative but she grew wilder.

And then she said it.

"I can't see!"

My stomach dropped from me.

I ran over to her and grabbed her hand, scared when she screamed, even from me.

And then they took her away

<><><>

It's been three days. Three days since the rivalry game. Three days since Maddie got hurt. Three days of waiting at the hospital, waiting for her to wake up.

Mrs. Knight went with Maddie to the hospital and everyone followed close behind in their own cars.

Maddie was rushed into surgery and we were stuffed into a waiting room. After two hours the doctor came out and said she was okay but he didn't know when she would wake up. One of the glass shards from the beer bottle went into her head. The doctor said she should be fine and there would not be any brain damage.

I let out a frustrated sigh.

Why wasn't she awake yet?

A rush of movement caught my eye. A nurse rushed past where I was sitting in the waiting room and to the direction where Maddie was.

My heart squeezed painfully.

Another half hour passed and then the same nurse came out to the waiting room, looking breathless.

"Madison Greggor?" the woman called out. Mr. and Mrs. Knight, Kylee, my mom and I all stood up. My Dad was at work and Jake and Colton were looking after Luke and Johnny.

"Yes?" I said, running up to her.

She waited for the others to reach us.

"She's awake."

Well, then. Maybe some good things happen.

<><><>

She looked awful. She looked so scared and pale in her hospital bed.

As soon as Mr. and Mrs. Knight saw her they rushed towards her, fussing, with Kylee and my mom right on their heels.

I stayed back, afraid she was still mad at me.

"Are you okay?"

"Do you want anything?"

"Can you see?"

My ears perked at that question and my eyes flew to her.

She was looking right at me.

"Yes." she said.

Relief rushed through me and my shoulders sagged.

It was clear they all felt the same way.

Taking small steps, I shuffled towards her bed and cautiously took her good hand.

"Hey there," I said softly.