How it all happened?

Chapter 23
Thomas and Newts parents and Malia got there 20 minutes later. As much as Thomas didn't want to go in there again, he wanted to be the one to explain it all too him.

"Can I go in first, please?" Thomas asks.

"Thomas no, it's Alisons son, she will go first." Scott scolds Thomas.

Thomas sighs, "sorry, right."

"Thomas it's fine you go. I'm not quite ready to face him yet." Alison says to Thomas adding a wink to indicate that she just thinks Scotts over reacting and that she doesn't care if he goes.

Thomas smiles gratefully and then starts walking to Newts room but the doctor steps in front of him.

"Wait before you go in I need to tell all of you something." She says.

The others hear and walk up to them as well.

"We just finished some tests and Newts depression, anxiety and other stuff is still very much there and bad. Buttttt. He doesn't remember that the reason he's here because he attempted to jump and we would like to keep it that way. We think it will be best for his recovery, and his depression."

Thomas just nods. The last thing he wanted to do was go in there and talk about Newts jump anyway. He sidesteps the doctor and walks into Newts room.

When Newts sees Thomas he gets a frightened look again but when they look into each others eyes he seems to visibly calm down.

"May I sit down?" Thomas asks. Newt slowly and hesitantly nods.

"I'm really sorry for scaring you earlier, the doctors are just slintheads here. I can't believe I left you in there hands." Newt laughs at Thomas's anger towards the hospital and Thomas smiles at Newts laugh. 3 months without his angelic laughter. At least his laugh didn't change.

"I know that this isn't what you want to hear, but who are you?"

The question does indeed hurt Thomas but he knows Newt can't help it and he has to get use to the painful questions.

"I'm Thomas."

"I know," Newt laughs again, "but how do I know you?"

Thomas doesn't want to say they are brother, because before Newts accident, that wasn't how they viewed each other so he just decides to explain it.

"Well my dad and your mom are dating. They are not engaged or married, or having a kid together. They are just dating."

Again Newt laughs, "you could have just said they are dating."

Thomas knows that, but if he ever wants a chance with Newt again he needs Newt not to view Thomas like a brother. He decides to just ignore the statement.

"How much have the doctors told you?"

"Nothing," newt scoffs, "This is the most anyone's has talked to me. I kinda figure I have amnesia though, I don't remember anything." And just like that Newts happy mood goes to depressed.

Was this how obvious it always was? Did Newts mood always change that easily? Was Thomas really to blind to notice?

"Um yeah. Ugh you've been in a coma for 3 months, 87 days actually. It's Christmas Eve." Thomas couldn't give him the letters now, or even the necklace. They would mean nothing to him. He wouldn't remember a thing. Thomas tried to hold his tears back.

"Really? I love christmas, it's my favourite holiday." Thomas hated how Newt could remember little things, like his favourite holiday, but not big parts of his life, like Thomas.

"I know, you told me. You were talking about it all the way back in September. Before you know, your accident."

"What exactly was my accident?" Newt asks.

"Umm, ugh." Thomas stutters. They accomplished that they weren't gonna tell him what it really was, but they didn't accomplish what they WERE gonna tell him.

Newt waits patiently for his answer. "I should let your mom tell you. She knows more then I do."

"Okay." He shrugs and the room falls into a awkward silence.

"I think they are letting you home today. You mostly recovered during your coma and since tomorrow's Christmas they were very generous on letting you out."

"Good, I've only been awake for an hour and this hospital is already making me depressed. Could you maybe help me change, since your my brother?" Newt asks shyly.

Thomas almost broke down at the label. There was no getting Newt back. There was a time when he would have asked him to help him change because he was his boyfriend, not "brother."

Thomas puts on a fake smile and nods anyway. It was only when Newt was one second away from standing up that Thomas remember Newts leg.

"WAIT!" But it was too late, Newt had put pressure on his leg and was now on the ground screaming in pain.

"Newt I'm so sorry! It completely slipped my mind about your leg." Thomas yells running to kneel down next to him.

"What about my leg?" Newt groans threw the pain.

"It's just badly injured from your accident..."'

"How badly?"

"You may not be able to walk again."

"Oh..." Newt says tears rolling down his face. Thomas didn't know if it was from the fall or the fact.

"Must have been a pretty bad accident then... Can you just tell me what happened." Newt asks looking up at Thomas with tears still coming from his eyes.

"I just. It's just. It's hard Newt. For me too. I don't wanna think about it more then I have to." Thomas says starting to cry also.

Newt just nods as they both sit on the ground crying.

"Hold me." Newt whimpers. Thomas easily took the offer as both boys continued to cry.

Thomas was crying for a different reason though; because this could be the last time he held his love-ever.