Chapter Five

Word Count: 1650

Dan was ready by 4pm on Saturday, and he took to pacing around his home muttering about nothing in particular, his palms sweating and his hands shaking. He hadn't done anything all day apart from get ready for this evening; he knew this was his plan when Phil had asked but he still said that he wouldn't be ready until 4:30pm. This wasn't to make it seem like he had a social life or anything you might expect, it was just because he liked to sleep in late on a Sunday, until about 12pm. Well, that and whenever he was asked to do something like this he preferred to have a few hours beforehand to psyche himself up.

He was wearing a pale blue check shirt, tucked into his darker blue suit with a pale pink tie and brown loafers. He wished he had something a bit smarter but at the same time he'd then be worried that he was overdressed, after all Phil had only said "wear something nice."

Dan kept checking his phone to see if Phil had text him to cancel the evening, occasionally entertaining the idea of cancelling it himself out of nerves. It would be so much easier to tell Phil that a 'family problem' had come up and just spend the evening alone with a bowl of rice and a cute film. When Dan picked up his phone for the fourth time to cancel their date his doorbell rang, making him jump and let out a small squeak of shock. With shaking hands he pocketed his phone, picked up his keys and padded his way over to the front door.

He swung the door open, and there stood Phil Lester. His tall, slender physique framed beautifully in the doorway. The winter moonlight, already rearing its head in the late afternoon, illuminated Phil's features giving him an unearthly vibe, which took Dan's breath away.

"Dan." Phil purred. "Are you ready to go?"

"Y-yes, I just have to lock up." Dan replied, stumbling slightly over his words. Phil was more gorgeous than Dan remembered and it made him feel inferior and nervous. He stepped out to join Phil in the moonlight, closing the door behind him and locking it before making his way down the steps, trying not to trip whilst gazing at Phil's radiant form.

"You look beautiful tonight." Phil said. Dan's brows slightly furrowed in confusion.

"R-really? Thank you... So do you." Dan now felt really uncomfortable. No one had ever told him that before so he wasn't really sure how to act. Was he supposed to say it back? Was Phil joking? Either way, a small smile twitched at the right corner of Dan's mouth. Phil could tell that Dan felt slightly uncomfortable, though genuinely appreciative of the compliment, so decided to steer the conversation away from it.

"I couldn't find anywhere to park outside yours so I've just left it around the corner." Phil said. It, Dan thought, that doesn't sound promising. Taking a closer look at Phil, Dan noticed he was wearing a thick jacket. Dan's blood ran cold, praying that his suspicions weren't about to come true and that he wasn't going to be expected to sit on a motorbike.

As they rounded the corner Dan's heart sunk. There on it's own in the dark street stood a motorbike with two helmets clipped around the handles.

"I'm guessing you've not ridden before?" Phil said, letting out an amused chuckle.

"No, and if I'm honest, I never planned for that to change." Dan replied, not taking his eyes off the shiny metal bike.

"It won't be as bad as you think, I promise." Phil said, a warm smile on his lips.

Phil slid the spare helmet over Dan's head, making him inwardly groan, predicting the messy state of his hair when he'd have to eventually take the helmet off. He'd spent so long making himself presentable and now some hat was going to ruin it all.