Chapter Fifteen

Word count: 960

'Travelling in the company of those we love is home in motion.'

- James Henry Leigh Hunt

Dan wet Phil's toothbrush and squeezed on some toothpaste. He twisted the brush in his hand for a moment thinking about how weird it was to share a toothbrush with someone; it felt so intimate. He gave his head a little shake and began to brush his teeth. A slight pink tint appeared on Dan's cheeks as he thought about Phil's mouth, which the brush had been in only moments ago. It felt quite domestic to be at this level with Phil already, and it was oddly comforting. 

Dan shuffled into Phil's room, wearing only his boxers, to find Phil already lying in the right-hand side of the double bed. He awkwardly climbed in beside him, and propped himself up on his left elbow to face Phil. The bed was squishy and warm with Phil's body already heating it and the eight feather pillows resting against the headboard making it a cosy little nest for the two of them to lie in.

"We should go traveling, just you and me." Dan said softly, his fingertips stroking Phil's tattooed arm, his face faintly lit by the pale yellow glow of Phil's bedside lamps. Phil could feel the coolness of Dan's breath from the toothpaste and smell the sweet, minty scent.

"That sounds nice... Why?" Phil replied, his voice deep but quiet. He couldn't help but smile at Dan. He knew that asking him to come over was a good idea, his cute little ideas and views on random things that Phil had never even thought of before were some of the things Phil loved the most about Dan.

Loved... Phil thought. Yes. Loved.

"Because I want to see more of the world and I want to see it with you." Dan said simply. "Just imagine us traveling to some of the most beautiful places in the world, together. We could go to those caves where the little fish are the only source of light. We could climb the mountains with views that will take your breath away and make you question why there is hate and pain in the world. We could taste foods we didn't know existed and can't pronounce the name of. We could lie under the stars in a country where the evening weather is warmer than England's sunniest days, and see those same stars we looked at last night. We could walk through canopies of flowers in the brightest pink colours you can think of, and some brighter than even that..." Dan was smiling to himself, getting lost in his own imagination. Phil was smiling at Dan, getting lost in his words and the beautiful scenes he was painting with them. Dan's gentle words were filling the quiet room and wrapping themselves around Phil.

"We could swim in seas of the palest blue, the seas with water clearer than crystal." Phil said, joining in. Dan was pulled out of his mind by this comment and fresh excitement coursed through him now that Phil was joining in. "We could dance in the streets under the moonlit skies." Phil said. "We could see free animals in their natural habitat's, happy with their ability to move around and make a family in their own time. We could see foreign churches and the beauty in the stones crafted together hundreds of years ago to create the buildings people have gone to for help ever since."

Dan was happy that Phil seemed to be relaxing even more. He'd been so tense since Dan arrived earlier and he wondered if Phil had been telling him everything about seeing his family. Keen to keep Phil in this content, imaginative mood Dan snuggled in closer and carried on.

"We could ride bikes along the roads, empty apart from the dust and lined with nothing but broken houses and dried up earth." Dan said. "We could sit on the beach with our toes in the water; during the day we'd be laughing and enjoying the sun, at night we'd be closer and looking out across the water thinking about how far from home we we're and how free we felt without the cage that was normal life..." Dan trailed off, closing his eyes to savour the image in his mind.

"Then, when we are old we will remember the colours and the smells and the music we experienced together." Phil said. "We will look back at the photos we took and one will stand out from the others. This one will be on the sandy beach in the late afternoon sun, we would have been alone there and feeling the sand between our toes and under our fingers as we traced patterns in the damp grains." One of Phil's long fingers stroked Dan's delicate face. "I'd written something in the sand between our bodies." Phil said, his voice growing slightly quieter and more intimate. "It said 'I love you.' Because I do Dan... I love you."

Phil had known he'd been in love with Dan for a while, and he was sure Dan already knew. They didn't hide their feelings from each other and Phil often told Dan the things he 'loved' about him, but he'd never said those three words. Those three beautiful words that filled Phil with warmth that started at his core, but made his bones shake with nerves and excitement at the same time.

The words crashed through Dan in a wave, clamping around his heart in the tightest embrace.

"I love you too, Phil." He replied. "Of course I do." He wrapped his arms around Phil's neck and their lips collided, burning with the heat of the love magnetizing them together. 

Okay I thought this one was cute... But it's probably just cringe to read and too short, but there we are hahaha.

Let me know what you think! 

T x