Chapter Nineteen

Word count: 2819

'Graze on my lips, and if those hills be dry,

Stray lower, where the pleasant fountains lie.'

- Shakespeare

There was a loud, screeching noise invading Dan's ears. He grumbled and rolled over, tapping his phone screen to shut the alarm up. He lay there for a moment holding his phone in his hand, his mouth hanging open, his eyes closing again, threatening to make him fall asleep for a bit longer.

"Dan, you can't sleep in, you'll be late." Phil said from behind him, his voice croaky and deep from having just woken up. Dan rolled over and playfully pouted his bottom lip, sulking.

"That's not fair, you can go back to sleep but I have to get up..." Dan whined. Dan pulled the duvet over his head and tried to snuggle back into Phil's bare chest, Phil shuffled down and pulled the duvet over him too.

"If I go back to sleep I won't get to see you all sleepy like this, it's very cute." Phil said, wrinkling his nose. Dan's hair was slightly wavy and stuck up at the back. His body was warm against Phil's and his eyes were slightly puffy.

"Oh shut up, Phil." Dan grumbled. He rolled over and managed to drag himself out of bed, pulling the covers off with him, leaving Phil exposed to the cold air of the room.

"Hey! Come back!" Phil cried, jumping out of bed. Laughing, Dan turned on his heel and ran out of the room, using the duvet as a squishy cape. Phil chased after him, wearing only his boxers. Dan ran to the living room and stood with the sofa behind him, the cushions pressing into the backs of his calves. Phil ran into Dan and pushed him onto the sofa, landing on top of Dan's duvet cocooned body. With a bit of shuffling Phil managed to snake his way into the duvet with Dan and lay on top of him. Phil leaned in and gave Dan a small kiss, his carefree smile dancing on his lips. Dan giggled into the kiss, which made Phil giggle in return.

Phil lay there looking into Dan's eyes for a moment, a memory floating in the back of his mind. A recent memory of safety and comfort, but Phil couldn't quite put his finger on it. After last night, when Dan had confessed to having been with two other people Phil felt happier, knowing that Dan hadn't been shared with many other people and that Phil was one of the few people Dan had actually let into his life so intimately.

"Phil, I can feel that on my leg..." Dan giggled quietly, feeling Phil's happiness resurface lower down. Phil bit his lip and smirked in response. "I can't, I don't have time! I should've showered by now." Dan said, laughing but yearning for the same thing as Phil.

"Well, I need a shower too." Phil said; his eyes framed in desire. Phil's hand travelled down Dan's body and came to rest on his thigh, which he squeezed.

"Phil..." Dan breathed. Phil began to leave tender kisses down Dan's chest, his tongue gently sliding along the delicate skin just above Dan's boxers. Dan propped himself up on his elbows. "Phil, I really can't. I'm going to be late." Dan pulled Phil's face towards his own and planted a deep but swift kiss on his lips.

Fifteen minutes later Dan was dressed and had his bag hanging over his shoulder. He was quickly stuffing his face with a cereal bar and drinking some piping hot coffee, which he regretted as it burnt his tongue, a sensation that would stay with him all day. He trotted over to Phil, who was leaning against the breakfast bar, and gave him a quick one armed hug and peck on the lips before dashing out of the door, trusting Phil to lock up when he left for work later.

~~~

Dan was in the Staff Room at break time with a rather tangy orange and a mug of strong tea. He was chatting contently with one of his colleagues about the 'tricky' Year Nines in her History class.