c.11

May

At this point in the day, I believed my life couldn't suck more. It seemed as if everything was going against me today. The weather was shit and when I walked out of class it was pouring rain. I didn't drive because on campus parking is the worst, and I couldn't catch the bus on time. That now meant I had to walk. UCF is one of the largest college campuses in the United States, and I was caught walking in the rain. 

The only good thing about today was it was Friday, and I didn't have to worry about classes until Monday. Shayla told me she wanted to take me out because she knew how shitty my week was, but I insisted we have a night in, especially because of the weather. Even though she fought against me, she eventually agreed. 

"I know your terrible week started on Monday," Shayla greeted as I walked into our dorm, "and I was a little pissed when you said you wanted to stay in. But, I get it."

On Monday Ashton called me to tell me the game he was supposed to play at UCF this weekend was cancelled. The conversation didn't last long because I was too hurt to continue it. Ever since he told me when he could come back I had almost been counting down the days. So when he broke the news to me that he couldn't come, it hurt. I wasn't sure how long it would be before I could see him again. Plus I was getting tired of our missed calls and fifteen minute conversations when we actually got to speak. I hated feeling this out of touch with him. 

"But we are so going to go watch the frats play soccer on Saturday." Shayla smiled as she typed on her MacBook. "I guess they don't care about weather conditions at all." I didn't care that much about frats, especially watching them play soccer. "May," she looked over at me, "I just want you to be happy."

"I'm fine." I assured her, not really caring if I was telling the truth or not. "I just want a nice night with my friend. I clearly need a distraction." 

"Exactly." Shayla bounced off her bed and hustled over to mine. "And since I am your best friend, I am going to provide you with a distraction." She smiled and hugged my tightly. "It's going to be a great weekend. I know."

"Thanks, Shay." 

"No problem. But if I hear you leave one message for you know who," she paused, raising her eyebrow, "I will throw your phone away." 

"I won't call him. I promise, but if he calls me I will answer." I admitted. As much as I needed a distraction I wasn't going to ignore if Ashton called me. Shayla rolled her eyes at this news, clearly not liking a possible break in the plans. 

"Whatever." She shrugged, knowing I was hopeless. "Just remember this feeling. Just know it'll get better if you let it."