c.12

Ashton

As I boarded the plane I started to feel sick to my stomach. It wasn't the fact that I was about to fly, but the fact I was going to see May. It's fucking crazy that I felt this way, especially because I know May. I love her and I still feel like throwing up. I don't feel like throwing up because I love her, but because we've been off lately. Ok, "lately" is a bad word to use. Terrible is probably the best word. Ever since college started our relationship has flipped. But I hoped this weekend would make up for some of it.

When I found out our game at UCF was cancelled I wanted to punch a wall. It hurt to tell May and know she was sad about it. However, it did help me to make a surprise visit. When I had the original plan to play on Saturday, I had a big plan. Now it'll be even better because she won't know I'm coming. Her roommate, Shayla, does though. She helped me plan this ever since the game got cancelled. 

"So what are you planning on doing when you get there?" Josh asked as we sat down in our seats. I told him he could come along just in case things didn't turn out the way I wanted. 

"That's a good question." I hadn't given it too much thought. All I knew was that I wanted to see her and it was a surprise, nothing past that I knew. "Maybe when I see her I'll know. Hopefully." 

"I think it's awesome you're doing this. I don't know that many guys who would do this, especially considering how you two are." 

"What?" I looked over at my friend, waiting for an explanation. "What do you mean how we are?"

"It's just things are rocky between you. Right? That's the point of this trip, to make things better?"

"I'm going because I haven't seen her in months, Josh." I snapped, drawing stares from the people across the aisle. "I'm sure any guy who loved someone would do the same thing." 

---

"I think this is the building." I gestured to a nearby brick building as I looked at the text Shayla sent me. "Fuck."

"Just go." Josh egged. "I seriously don't think it'll be that bad." 

"I can't get in. I have to have a key." I unlocked my phone and sent Shayla a quick message letting her know I was waiting. 

"I'll go somewhere else. You should probably be doing this alone." Josh patted me on the back and walked off. I sat down on a bench by the entrance to the building, waiting to see May. 

My phone lit up with a text from Shayla. Just left. It read. I knew it had only been a couple months since I had last seen May but it felt like a year. It felt weird to be nervous but I was. I couldn't help it.