Chapter 1

I looked out at the falling snow from the window of my small apartment, drinking hot chocolate from the warm mug in hands.  It was December again, and soon the annual Christmas party would be here.  I sighed, knowing the shenanigans that would soon take place in the town square.  I just hoped that my friends would think that they were too old for that silly game that we have played every year since the ninth grade...Wait, I'm sorry, I have not even introduced myself yet.

My name is Alexa Esmond, I am twenty-two years old, and live in my apartment alone here in Holly Grove.  Just a lonely, small town life for me.  Why?  Well after an incident in my early college years, I have not been too keen on moving away and finding love.  My parents have pushed me for the past three years to find a man and move on.  Also, because I finished college not too long ago, they have tried to get me to find a job in a bigger city.  I could very well do so myself!  In fact, many job offers from companies in bigger cities have called me about a job.  This is due to having a great reputation after winning many prestigious writing competitions in college.  However, after a failed first love (due to a huge job opportunity for my ex) I just could not bring myself to move on.  He had left this town and broke my heart in the process.  So, while I stayed here, practically all of my other friends who went to high school and college with me moved on as well.  Though, they have always visited during the holidays, and this year would be no exception.  

I looked away from the window, put my mug down, and began to write for local newspaper I worked for.  The job I had been offered was for a huge journal in NYC, but that is where HE is.  The thought of being in the same city with the only man that I had ever loved and yet broke my heart- I just cannot bring myself to move.  The job offer is still on the table, but I have enjoyed the quiet of my small town anyways, and am not ready to leave just yet...

  I continued to write, until I heard a knock at the door.  I answered it, and my face immediately lit up.

"Katie!  It's so good to see you!" I gave her a big hug, "Please come in!" She hung her scarf and coat on rack, and took her boots off.

"It's good to see you too Lex!" She called me by the nickname I had been given and sat on the couch. 

"Would you like a cup of coffee or cocoa?" I asked her and went to the kitchen.

"Cocoa would be amazing!" She grabbed the remote off the coffee table and like every year, turned it to one of those holiday movie channels.  I gave her the hot mug of chocolate heaven, and the doorbell rang again.  I opened it to find two more of my friends.

"Violet! Madeline! Come in! Coffee or cocoa?" I asked as they took off their coats, scarves, and shoes.

"Cocoa!" They announced at the same time.  I smiled, made their cocoa, and went ahead and started a pot of coffee.  Nadia was an all out coffee person, and I knew that she would definitely want some when she walked through the door.  When I finished up their cocoa, I handed it to them and sat down. Nadia was known for being fashionably late, so I went and watched the movie with them.  It was ELF the movie with Will Ferrell in it, and it happened to be one of my favorites.  I went back to the kitchen, made some popcorn, and sat back down.  Then we all started catching up with each other.

"So who is ready for this year's round of Mistletoe?" Katie asked excitedly, "Maybe this year we will finally catch Lex!" She teased.

"No, no, like every year, I will stay focused," I smiled triumphantly.  I have been determined to never be caught since the very first Christmas that this game began.  Every year, either I had never been caught staring, or it was a year that me and him were together.  So, I still have yet to kiss someone at the annual Christmas party.  I am glad too, because I have seen the dates that my friends have been set up with if they happen to lose the game.  Let's just say that it isn't pretty.  "What about you two?" I asked Violet and Madeline.  Madeline looked down at the ground and blushed.

"Actually, I have been meaning to tell you-" she started off, but there was another knock at the door. I got up and opened it to see Nadia with a huge smile on her face.

"Merry Christmas!" She yelled in her own little way.  She I have always been best friends.

"Merry Christmas!" I told her as it was her turn to take off her coat, scarf, and shoes. "Come in! I have coffee made for you in the kitchen, and you may want to hurry.  Madeline apparently has something to tell us..." I looked back at the blushing girl. Nadia looked at me questioningly, but I just shrugged and sat back down while she got her coffee.

Once Nadia came in the kitchen, Madeline spilled.

"So, as I was going to say...You guys remember Richard right?"  We all nodded. We had met him during spring break when we had all met up in California.  He was a nice, handsome guy, and treated Madeline like a queen. Plus, he was rather wealthy and ran a successful business.

"Yeah, what about him?" Katie asked with a raised eyebrow.  We all wondered where this was going.

Then Madeline held up her left hand, and a huge dazzling diamond ring was on.  It must have cost a fortune...

"Richard and I are getting married!" We all gasped and rushed over to her to look at the ring.  "So, I will no longer be able to play Mistletoe with you guys anymore."  It was probably a good thing for her anyways.  Madeline got caught every year, and had many stories of kisses and awkward dates.  Violet was rather quiet, and I happened to be the one to notice it.

"Violet, why are you so quiet?" She began blushing and looked to the ground.  Finally she raised her left hand as well to reveal a rather spectacular ring as well.

"I didn't want to steal Madeline's thunder, but Thomas and I are getting married."  We were all standing there with our jaws dropped, except for Madeline.  She squealed with delight as she hugged her friend.

"OH MY GOSH ARE YOU KIDDING? THIS IS FANTASTIC!!" We all rushed over to look at her ring and then the wedding questions began.  Madeline wanted to marry next fall, but Violet was planning on marrying in the spring.  We then talked and questioned them about dresses, cakes, and other wedding details.  They also asked if we'd be bridesmaids, to which we gladly accepted.

"So, it's just me, Nad, and Lexa this year, eh?" Katie asked and looked at us accusingly as if we also had something to hide.

"Yep, unless Lex has something to hide," Nadia looked at me teasingly.

"NoPe, I am not hiding anything," I looked at them and crossed my arms, "And just like every year, you won't catch me." I smiled triumphantly.

"You say that now Alexa, but you never know who you will see at the party," Violet poked my side and teased me.

"Hey! You know I don't like to be poked," I said in a pouty voice as I rubbed my side.

They all laughed and we continued to chat, watch movies, and talk about the future.  We also talked about the different mishaps from past Mistletoe experiences.

"Hey Maddie, remember in tenth grade when you had to go on a date with Josh Renaldo for refusing to kiss James Loyalton?" Violet asked while laughing and drinking cocoa.

"Oh gosh, he chewed his food with his mouth open! It was disgusting!" She had a sour look on her face, and we doubled over laughing. Ah, the memories of Christmas past.

I got out the air mattresses for my guests, and I ordered pizza.  I continued to enjoy the fellowship with my friends, whom I hardly ever got to see, as the sun set on a great day.  They would be staying in town for a week and a half, and the party would be Friday night.  The pizza guy soon came, but not without flirting with me first.  I rolled my eyes, the girls giggled, and I laid back and enjoyed the rest of the night.