Chapter 8

(Charlie)

I had never been so angry in my entire life.  Over all, I was usually a pretty chill dude, but I literally wanted to find Gavin and rip him apart limb by limb.  It all made sense now.  He wanted to ship me off to steal my girlfriend, and that alone made me livid.  Then there was the fact that he touched her, and that made me burn in my bones.  He is very lucky that he was off messing with some girl somewhere in New York right now or I may have murdered him.  I took many deep breaths trying to calm my anger, but nothing was working.

"It's okay Char," Alexa rubbed my back as I was bent over with my face in my hands.  That made things a little better, then she spoke up, "I'm okay."

"He touched and could have hurt you!" I snapped, but softened when I came to a realization, "I should have been protecting you." I buried my face in hands, consumed with guilt and regret.

I cannot believe that I was ever friends with Gavin.  What he had done to Alexa was almost unbelievable.  If she did not have the strength to hurt him, what would have happened to her?  I shuddered inwardly and felt absolutely sick to my stomach.  If I would have known, then I would have done more to prevent what had happened.  I would have tried the long distance thing other than just letting go of her completely.  Instead, I listened to the lies that Gavin told me, about how Alexa would not have been able to handle it and stuff.  Why did I ever listen to him?!?

"You were studying, we made an agreement, what is done is done," she pulled my hands away from my face, "What is important, is where we go from here.  It's obvious that we are both crazy about each other."  I sighed, smiled, and took her hand again.

***********************************************************************************************

(Alexa)

"Come follow me.  I want to go back to the bridge," he took my hand but I stopped. I needed to talk to my friends first.  I had been gone a long time,  and they needed to know what was going on.

"Could we go get some cocoa first?" I asked sweetly and he nodded.  We arrived at the booth, and I went around to go update my friends.

"I knew it! I knew that you were still crazy about him!" Nadia squealed with excitement as I told them all everything that had been going on since I left.

"I always thought that you two were the cutest couple ever!"  Katie said while drinking some of her own cocoa.  "I mean, can't you guys imagine how cute their kids will be?"

They all agreed and continued chatting, and I walked away for a bit to clear my mind.

Wow, Charlie has loved me all of this time.  It almost seems to good to be true.  I was lost in my thoughts until I felt a small tap on my back.

"I saw what you did," Lily said with her hands on her hips and a smile, "You kissed him!" She pointed to Charlie and I blushed. "You're in love!"  I sat down and laughed, and the small girl sat beside me.

"I guess I am," I admitted sheepishly, "I have been wishing for this moment my whole life." 

"Well, I have to admit it," she looked down, "You being in love IS sweet like hot chocolate."

I smiled and looked out at Charlie, and could not agree more. 

"I guess it is Lily," I breathed and for the first time in a while, I felt a moment of pure bliss.  Lily sat up and stood in front of me.

"Well, I gotta go now. I think it's almost time for me to go," she looked sad and continued, "Daddy doesn't let me do this very often."

"Do what Lily?" I asked slightly confused, and she turned her head to the side.

"Oh, nothin'." She gave me a big hug, and I hugged her back.  "I am gonna miss you. I may never see you ever again Alexa!" Awe.  Kids are so adorable.

"Maybe you will," she pulled away, "I hope you get your angel wings!" I smiled at her.

"Me too. Bye bye Alexa!" She began to skip away.

"Goodbye!" I smiled and waved at her and watched her flowing blonde hair fade into the distance.

"You ready?" Charlie came up behind me and wrapped his arms around me.

"Yes, I am."