Chapter 6

(Alexa)

He lead me back towards the park, and I could only wonder where he was taking me.  We crossed over a beautifully lit bridge that many people were taking pictures on, and I looked at the river underneath it.  It was a good walk to get to the other side, but we finally reached our destination.  It was an old white  pavilion that was decorated with vines and Christmas lights.  There also happened to be some Mistletoe hanging down in the middle. 

Charlie took my hand and led me up the short steps.  I gasped when I suddenly remembered that this pavilion was actually very significant.  It was where we had our first kiss.  It was a December night a few years ago.  We had only been dating for a few months, and then he took me out here.  There were Christmas lights out here then too.  Suddenly, the memory came to me as if it were yesterday.

He had taken me here, and he pulled his phone out.  I was wondering what he was doing, until some soft pretty music came on.  He led me up the steps and set his phone down.  Then he gave me his hand.

"Would you dance with me Alexa?" He asked in soft voice that made everything in me melt.  I was a terrible dancer, and he knew it.

"I can't dance...you know that," I said and looked away.

"Okay, then just sway with me."  He pulled me close to him and our fingers intwined.  He put his other hand around my waist. We swayed until the music stopped. He went over to grab his phone and frowned.

"Sorry, my phone must have died." He put it back in his pocket.

"It's okay, sometimes silence can be more powerful." I led him to the edge of the pavilion and looked out at the sky, which happened to be gorgeous tonight.

"Isn't it beautiful out here Alexa?" He looked at me with a small smile on his face.  "Honestly, this place doesn't even need Christmas lights with all of the stars that are out."  We stood there silently, taking in the scene that was right in front of us.

"It's breathtaking," I finally got out, looking at how incredibly full the sky was with stars.  "It's almost as if they all came out just for us tonight."  It would be absolutely incredible to take picture out here.  It's so beautiful that I could almost write a poem with everything that I was feeling, with all of the descriptive adjectives that continuously popped up in my head.  It was a sight that I would always remember.

We continued to stand there in silence, and I leaned my head on his chest.  I wish that this moment could last forever. Suddenly, a shooting star shot across that great night sky. He chuckled a little bit before speaking.

"Well," he looked down at me and smile. I lifted my head to get a better look at him. "I guess we are having lots of luck tonight. How about we make a wish?"

"Okay..." I barely could get the word out because I was so enchanted by everything.

I closed my eyes, wishing that the love between Charlie and I would last forever. I wanted to have one of those epic love stories that I read so much about. Books only fueled my desire for my own story to be one of those tales of passion. I looked back up to see him smiling at me.

"You know what I wished for?" He said quietly as if his wish wouldn't come true.

"What?" I asked just as quietly while looking into his swirling blue eyes.

He leaned down close to me until our noses were touching. I could feel his warm breath on my face, which made me stop breathing for a split second.

"This," then he did what I had been waiting for for months...he kissed me.
It seemed like I could feel everything around me. Like sparks were going off and some kind of electricity filled the air. It felt caring and comfortable, unlike other guys that I had kissed before. This one was different from all of those. He pulled away and smiled before leaning in to kiss me once more.

We were in the middle of the pavilion when he finally spoke up.

"You remember this place?" He asked with his hands in his pockets as he looked around.

"How could I forget?" I muttered and them spoke up, "The stars were absolutely incredible that night."   I looked up to see that the stars were even more brilliant tonight and gasped. He did his signature chuckle while looking up as well, then he looked back at me.

"Looks like they are rather incredible tonight too," he took out his phone and was fiddling with it until a song came on.  It was the same song from that night...he then laid the phone down.

"Would you sway with me?" He as he held out his hand, just like he did that night so long ago.  I nodded. He put his free hand around my waist and we swayed.  I once again leaned my head on his chest, and just enjoyed the moment not knowing how long it would last.  We both looked out at the stars and continued to sway.  Suddenly something flashed across the sky, it was a shooting star. I heard him laugh as he turned to me.

"Guess lighting can strike in the same place," he looked out for a moment before continuing.  "Want to make a wish?"  I gave a small nod and closed my eyes again.

What could I possibly wish for?  Last time I did this everything fell apart.  I wanted something that would be strong, something the would last, but I also wanted a second chance.  I wished for a second chance with Charlie.  After tonight, I can't deny the fact that my feelings for him are still there.  I still love him, and I hoped that if he left again, that he would take me with him.  I also wish and hope that he would love me back.  I looked up at him and wondered what he had wished for.  So, I decided to ask first this time.

"What did you wish for Char? " I used his old nickname and he looked at me with an amused expression on his face.  Neither of us believed that if you told the wish, that it wouldn't come true.  In fact, I had read a book recently where it said that a dream wished aloud is more likely to come true because things said out loud feel more real.  

"I wished for a second chance," I nodded and watched him run his free hand through his hair.

"I get that," I answered.  I wish that I was his wish.

"What about you," he looked straight at me, "What did you wish for?"

I contemplated telling him.  I mean, you cannot just go up to a guy and tell him that you love him.  Especially if it is your ex!  I looked to the side unsure of what to say until I just blurted something out.

"I really didn't know what to wish for," I pulled away from him and went to the other side of the pavilion. I crossed my arms together and looked out at the illuminating park.  I stayed like that until I felt his hands on my arms.  Then he turned me towards him.

"Did you wish for a second chance too?" He studied my face to see my reaction.  I knew that I had to be blushing and had a confused look on my face.

"What do you mean?" I asked incredulously, wondering why he had to ask me that question.  Of course his wish had to be mine!  He pulled me very close to him, and whispered softly.

"I think," I could feel his warm breath just like before, "You know exactly what I mean."  

Then we collided.