Chapter 3

(Alexa)

"Hot chocolate! Free hot chocolate!" I smiled as I handed some out to some small kids. "Oh be careful! It's hot!"  I continued to hand out it to others.  It was a beautiful sight really.

Stores were decorated and the hours extended until their closing for this special night.  Live music was playing in a parking lot by the courthouse.  The artificial ice rink was open to everyone, and children participated in the annual snowman contest.   Lights were everywhere.  I am almost positive that you could see them from space!  Everyone in the town had pitched in to make this a very special get together.  All of the churches handed out free food, and the town bakery handed out free cookies. There was a toy drive being held by the courthouse, and there was a huge Christmas tree beside the booth.  

I saw families going around the square together, and my heart was filled with joy.  I took notes like this because I would be writing articles about the event for the newspaper.  I sighed as the girls and I continued to hand out chocolate.  I looked over and saw Katie staring out into the distance.  I wondered what she was looking at, until I saw a tall, handsome, blonde out in the distance.  I recognized him but couldn't remember his name, although I knew he was single.  I looked over at the other girls and they giggled, motioning me to give the Katie the word.  

"Katie, come here for a moment would you," I asked and she came over.  I leaned to whisper it in her ear.

"Mistletoe," she groaned and we all laughed.  She took her break and chased after the poor guy.  However, it did not take her very long to get back.

"Haha, that was fast!" Nadia told us and we nodded.  It had to be a new record for Katie, we had only been here for thirty minutes!

"I know right!" Violet gave a little laugh and continued, "Though, it doesn't surprise me that she was first!"

We laughed again and continued to hand out hot chocolate.  We were surprised once again when Katie came back with a slip of paper in her hands a little while later.

"So...what happened?"  Madeline said curiously, knowing we were all thinking the same thing.

"Well, I got him to kiss me, and then he gave me his number!" She squealed, "He is really cute, and he said that he wanted to take me out on a proper date.  His name is Kyle Harris, and he is an absolute sweetheart!"  Oh yeah, Kyle from the church.  Oh wait, now I remember.  He had tried asking me out last year, but I turned him down.

"That's awesome!  Go Katie!" I yelled and so did the other girls.

"Shhh he might hear you!" She giggled and went back to helping us.

Later, we all caught Nadia sneaking glances at a guy.  She only took ten minutes, because she is rather blunt and always has the courage to tell the guy about the embarrassing game meant for high schoolers. Still, she had a great plan, and it worked for her every year.  I got lost in my thoughts until I heard a small, sweet little voice.

"Excuse me," I looked down to find a small, blonde haired little girl, "Can I have some?"

I smiled, she was the most adorable little kid I had ever seen.

"Sure sweetie, here you go!" I handed her a cup.  She took a sip, licked her lips and smiled. 

"My name is Lily, what's your name?" The little girl asked while steadily drinking her treat.

"That is a very pretty name Lily, my name is Alexa," I shook her small hand, "Nice to meet you."

She continued to drink her cocoa, and we chatted a bit.  After a while she looked up at me and asked me a question.

"My daddy said that the reason boys won't leave me alone at school, is because I am sweet as hot chocolate." She looked closely at me with an accusing face. "Do any boys tease you because you're as sweet as hot chocolate?" I smiled and came up with an answer to her interesting question.

"Well, I don't have boys to tease me.  Maybe it's because I am not sweet like you are." She had drained her cup, so I refilled it.  She thought about what I had said and answered back.

"But you ARE sweet like chocolate!" she paused for a moment.  "Are you married? Is that why boys don't tease you?" She asked and stood beside me.

"No," I sighed and continued, "There isn't anyone who loves me yet, that is why boys don't tease me." I poked at her and she giggled.

"Eww so they tease me because they love me," she made a funny expression on her face before continuing, "I bet there is a boy who loves you!  In fffacct, I bet he will tease you tonight!"

"Oh I doubt it," turned around and went to get her another cup of cocoa (she must really love the stuff!).  "But you have a Merry Christmas!" I turned around but she was gone.  I looked left and right but still couldn't find her.  Oh well, she probably went back to her parents.

I went back to handing out stuff and soon heard a familiar voice.  I stopped to look up to find Charlie staring down at me.

*****************************************************************************************************

(Charlie)

She looked as radiant as ever and I began to put my plan to action.  She was trying to be busy despite the fact that most of everyone was listening to the live music in the parking lot.  I walked up to her and said hey.  She looked up at me and then immediately back down again and she finally answered me.

"Oh, umm...hey Charlie," she continued doing whatever and then continued, "would you like a cup of cocoa?" I looked over at her friends to see if they were looking at me.  Thankfully, they were and I immediately looked back over to Alexa.

"Sure, I would love some powdered chocolate mixed with scalding hot water." She looked at me before raising an eyebrow and we both laughed.  "Yes, I would like a cup of cocoa."

"Marshmallows?" she asked as if she were in a haste.

"Is that even a real question?"  I saw her dump a handful in the cup and then she handed it to me.  I made sure to grab her hand while getting the cocoa and then she did it.  She stared at me strangely and we both stood there staring for a minute with me holding the cup and her hand.  Here was my chance.  I leaned over to her with her friends watching, and whispered the infamous word into her ear.

"Mistletoe."