Chapter 9

(Charlie)

When we arrived at the bridge, we stopped in the very middle and saw the iced over river.  She put her head on my chest and I wrapped my arms around her.

"Alexa, I want you to come with me to NYC.  You can take that job, and be next to me." I hoped that she would come, because I could not imagine another day without her.

"I..I don't know, I still have the town paper here and my family-" She stopped and I continued for her.

"But don't you want to live your dream?  Also, I think I know your parents well enough to know that they are ready for you to move on."  She sighed and then laughed.

"You're right it is my dream.  Also, my parents have been trying to get me to leave for a while now!" The wind blew some of her blonde hair in her face, and I could not help but move it.

"Then why haven't you left yet?" I asked, because I had wondered that ever since she was offered the job.

"You," she said before kissing me and then her lips were right by my ear, "Yes, I will come with you." 

I  smiled and bent down to kiss the woman, who would one day be my wife.

***********************************************************************************************

(Alexa)

He pulled away from me, and I was truly ecstatic.  My wish was finally coming true after all this time.  We continued to walk along the bridge as an eerie fog began to encircle us and the people around us.

"You know, that there is a story behind this bridge?" He asked and took me to a place where I saw a story engraved in a plaque.

"Many years ago, there was a little girl who was an orphan and two workers in the orphanage.  They were good people, and happened to be little girl's favorite people.  She got them to spend a lot of time together, and they all went on some crazy adventures. The couple fell in love and were soon married, with the little girl being their flower girl.  Afterwards, the couple adopted her, stating that she was the glue in their relationship.  They ended up being a well known family in the town because of not only their kindness, but because of the love luck that followed the little girl." I was confused at what he meant by that, so he continued.  

"Everywhere the little girl went, she would meet a single person.  Then she would either introduce them to another single person, or the girl would reunite them with someone they loved.  Because of the little girl's charms and such, either she would pull the two together herself, or make one of them brave enough to pursue the other.  Each relationship was a success, and she even helped out a lot of singles who needed to give someone else a second chance.  Her parents recorded over two hundred marriages that pointed to the little girl in her short lifetime."  Short lifetime? Seeing my expression, he continued. 

"Yeah.  Her and her parents came to this river one time to swim.  Some kind of accident happened, and they all drowned to death." I looked up in horror, that sounded awful!  "It was very tragic.  Now, people around here say that the little girl's sweet spirit still comes around this place to help people find their true love.  There are also witnesses to these stories - a record was kept of all of them. I think that is in a case at the library." I wondered how I had never heard of this story considering that I always go to the library. "If you're wondering why you have never seen it, it's because they put it away to make room for more things. It has not been featured since I was a kid. Here is a picture of the family."

I looked at the picture.  It was a smiling woman with long brown hair and chocolate eyes.  Beside her was a man with short brown hair and grey eyes.  In the middle....wait...

I could not even gasp with all of the shock I was feeling.  So I hugged Charlie, so that he would not suspect anything.  

"Maybe her spirit was with us tonight," he hugged me tight.  I began to desperately look for the small, fairy-like girl until I heard a bell and looked up towards to end of the bridge.  Deep in the fog I saw the three smiling kindly and looking in awe at me. Lily was wearing wings and waving at me as her father held her in his arms.  My jaw dropped and I stared, but after a few seconds I managed to somehow compose myself.  I finally smiled, waved, and mouthed thank you before a light flashed and they were gone.  I guess miracles do happen, and Lily was my angel.  I could not help but suspect that she had been sent on a mission from heaven to make my wish come true.  That way, she could earn her wings, and in my opinion she deserved them.