Chapter 10

One Year Later

(Alexa)

After the Christmas party last year, I packed up my stuff and moved to New York City. It turns out that I am pretty good at my new job, and I have been promoted twice in the past year. Char's restaurant business is going quite well, and he has been planning on opening up new locations. We decided that we would go back to Holly Grove for Christmas every year, but not without ice skating in the city under the huge Christmas tree. Char has taken me to all kinds of places here, including several coffee shops and bookstores (to my delight!). Dating him has been amazing. This past year has been one of the best in my entire life, and I almost think that it could not get any better than this.

It was the Christmas party again, and it was very lively tonight. One of the biggest crowds we have had in years. I was handing out free hot chocolate again with my friends.

I was a bridesmaid in Violet's spring wedding. It was beautiful and there were flowers everywhere. She looked absolutely gorgeous in her mermaid dress. Madeline had gotten married in the fall, and her wedding took place in a huge glass chapel overlooking the mountains. The trees had just turned colors, giving her a gorgeous scenery. Katie and Kyle got engaged after dating for a while. It turns out, that they were pretty perfect for each other. Nadia was the only single one now, but she still had to play the game.

In fact, we were all at the hot chocolate booth once again when we heard Nadia groan.

"What is he doing here?" I looked over and saw a handsome guy that looked Char's age heading towards us.

"Who is that Nad?" I asked in a teasing yet curious tone.

"It's Connor, and we dated in college. We broke up because we were not going to be near each other anymore. I went Florida, and he went to California." I did not remember them dating in college. In fact, Nadia went to the same college that the rest of us did.. wouldn't we know this guy?

"I had kept him a secret," she admitted while blushing, "I just wasn't sure if he was the one or not." Woah, she never talked or acted like this. She must have really liked him. He finally reached our booth and approached Nadia.'

"Hey, Nadia, could I have a cup?" She stared at him before answering.

"Ummm sure, yes um here you go," she gave him the cup while still staring, and Katie shouted first.

"MISTLETOE!" Nadia glared at her and Connor looked confused.

"What?" He asked with his head slightly turned to the side while looking at Nadia. She sighed, went around the table, and took his arm.

"Let me explain," she started as they walked away. They continued talking and I heard him laugh.

"Oh really? I guess I will have to keep you all night then!" He said with a huge grin on his face.  She looked flustered and then they went. This was the first guy that ever wanted to keep her long...I wonder... I looked around until I knew my guess was correct.  I saw Lily looking at me. She pointed to the soon to be couple and smiled. I smiled back, giving her a thumbs up.

For the next little bit, I handed out cocoa and reminisced on last year's party.

"You mind getting a cup for me and my lady?" I knew that voice.

"Sure, as long as you plan on taking her away from working." I looked up at Char. I was quite tired and needed a break. So I got out of the booth, and he took my hand, intertwining our fingers.

"Where are we going?" I asked as we were nearing the park.

"You'll see," he smiled mischievously and led me through the glowing park. It was funny to think that last year I was taking photos for this small town's newspaper. Taking pictures and writing for my job now was on such a larger scale. We walked, talked, and laughed our way through the park until I saw that we were making our way to the old pavilion.

"Sway with me?" I asked him this time, and was going to take my phone out until I heard a violin. I looked back to see a few musicians playing strings and stood there in awe. He chuckled.

"I was going to ask you the same thing," he did what he always did, and soon we were swaying to the beautiful music.

"I wish the stars were out tonight," I whispered. Unfortunately, it has been very cloudy due to the immense amount of snow we had been getting. "They are so beautiful."

"Yes, but not as beautiful as you," the music softened and he bent down on one knee...Oh my gosh..

"Alexa Marianne Esmond, I have always known that I love you," he opened a small box that had been in his pocket to reveal a beautiful diamond ring, "Would you do me the ultimate honor of becoming my wife? Giving us a more epic tale than any current romance novel?"

I laughed while putting my hands on my face while a few tears leaked out of my eyes. All I could do was nod, smile, and of course, ugly cry.

"Yes! I will!" He stood up and embraced me with a hug before kissing me. I saw a flash out of the corner of my eyes to see that my parents and friends were all around.  The flash happened to be a photographer I had recognized to be the one who took awesome shots of Char's restaurant. I went to hug my crying family and friends. I then came to a realization.

I would soon be Mrs. Alexa London

********************************************

Another Year Later

(Charlie)

I waited for the woman of my dreams to walk down the aisle of the old church here in Holly Grove. I stood nervously at the end of the aisle, and fidgeted with my tie.  I waited for what felt like forever until the bridesmaids began walking down the aisle.  I watched her friends in red dresses holding bouquets of red roses and small white flowers walk gracefully down the aisle that had a red carpet stretched to the stage.  I took a deep as the violinist we hired began to play, signaling that my bride was about to walk down the aisle. 

We had agreed to not see each other all day until this moment.  Suddenly there she was, and it felt like my heart stopped.

Her blonde hair was curled, and her makeup was done perfectly. She wore a red lipstick to complement her bouquet. Her dress was lace, and hugged her curves perfectly. It also had long white sleeves, and flowed beautifully at the bottom.  I can't wait for the honeymoon...

She looked up at me and smiled with her perfect white teeth. I am pretty sure I was grinning ear to ear.  She kissed her father on the cheek before he handed her over to me.

I wasn't paying much attention to the preacher until we got to the vows part.  All I could do was stare at the woman in front of me.  It felt like an eternity until the I do part.

"Through sickness and in health?" The preacher asked me, snapping me out of my daze.

"I do," I said rubbing the the ring I had put on her finger. He then said blah blah blah...Sorry I know I should be paying attention, but she was the one that all of my attention was focused on.

"I do," her bright green eyes looked into my blue ones as she finally got the words out.

"Now by the power vested in me, you may kiss the bride!" He exclaimed, and I was still enchanted by her.  After an awkward waiting pause, she leaned over to whisper something in my ear.

"Mistletoe."

I then kissed her like never before, and the crowd hooted and hollered.  

With that final word, we began our new life together.