A Fresh Start

"Make sure you text me when you land and then when you find Meghan." My mother said to me as she was walking me into the airport. "Do you have everything? Ticket? Money? Your brain?" I gave her a look and we both started laughing.

"Yes mom, I have everything I need. Meghan will make sure I text you or call you when we get to her place if I forget." I said, rolling my eyes at my mother.

"Oh, I know she will. We've been texting all morning." She said, waving her phone before putting it in her pocket.

"I've should have known. You guys are always texting!" I rolled my eyes at her.

We both stood there for a second, not wanting to say goodbye, but we both knew it had to be done.

"Whelp, Kellbell you better get going." She said holding back tears.

"Bye mom. I love you." I said as we hugged each other tight and I walked toward security.

I lived in Philadelphia my whole life and now, I'm on my way to Dallas, Texas to live with my best friend, Meghan who moved down there after we graduated College. She got a job with the Dallas Mavericks and she loves it. We had a plan to move to Dallas together after college, but before we graduated, I met this guy who I thought was the love of my life. His name was Taylor and he was perfect. Or so I thought. After two years of dating, I walked into our shared apartment, earlier than usual, I took a half day because it was his birthday and wanted to surprise him with a cake and some presents, I bought him. When I walked in, I heard him down the hall where our bedroom was and I thought he was on the phone so I just set the stuff down in the kitchen. I heard another voice in the room with him and I walked slowly over to the door, not wanting to believe what my ears were hearing. I pushed the door open and there he was with another girl in our bed. I flipped out and needless to say, I was done. I called Meghan sobbing and she convinced me to move down to Dallas with her for a fresh start. I couldn't agree more and the next thing I know, I'm buying a plane ticket to Dallas.

*******************************

After a 3 hour and 45-minute plane ride, we landed in Dallas. I turned on my phone and texted my mom like I promised I would and I got a text from Meghan.

Meghan: Hey biotch! I know you're up over the clouds right now, but I'm here so tell the pilot to hurry up!

I laughed at the message, typical Meghan I thought to myself. I quick texted her back and told her I landed and she told me she would be right outside the gate. I walked off the plane and went towards the exit and just as the doors opened, there I saw my weirdo friend standing there holding a sign which read Rapunzel. We both laughed and hugged and started to walk to her car.

"I can't believe you're here! It's finally happening! Meghan and Kelli take on Dallas! It only took two freaking years!" Meghan said as she pulls out of the airport and started heading towards her apartment.

"Yo, I don't know about you but I'm starving! All I had to eat today were snacks from the airport, I just want a burger and fries but I also just want to go to your place, take a shower and unpack." I said looking out the window.

"You mean our place. We could just pick something up on the way; I don't have much at the apartment because I've been super busy with work. What should we get?"

We both sat there for a second and at the same time we both just scream "PIZZA!"

We stopped at a pizza place on the way home and once we pulled into the apartment complex, I was in awe. It was beautiful!

"I can't believe you live here! It's so nice Meghan!" I said staring up at the building as I climbed out of her car.

"I'm about to slap you because this is your place now too. You can stop referring it as only mine! Come on, let's go eat and get you settled in! I'll show you around tomorrow!"

"Don't you have work tomorrow?" I asked grabbing my bag from the trunk, then following Meghan towards the entrance.

"Nope, I took off today and tomorrow to help you get situated!" She said turning around, waving her arms in the air.

I couldn't help but laugh and appreciate everything she was doing for me.

We walked into the apartment and it was huge! The living room looked out over the city of Dallas and the Kitchen was amazing! It had black cabinets and granite counter tops and stainless-steel appliances. Everything looked so beautiful and I can see why Meghan loved living here so much!

"Your room is over here!" Meghan yelled from the hallway. I walked over to where I heard her voice and she pointed me to a room. It was huge! It had a queen size bed and a black dresser and a little walk-in closet.

"Let's eat before you unpack, I'm starving!" Meghan said, leaning on the door frame.

"Agreed." I dropped my bags down and turned to follow Meghan back out to the kitchen.