But What?

Tyler's POV

At the beginning of the game, I looked towards Meghan's seat to see if maybe this game would be the game that she would come and of course, I was disappointed when I didn't see her next to Kelli. Kelli gave me a half smile but I was too disappointed to return it.

No matter how hard I tried, I played like shit. Everyone was getting mad at me. The media was so brutal all week and the fans were even worse. I haven't been on any social media because my timeline and DMs were just filled with people bashing me. I don't blame them.

When I got thrown into the boards and then saw her in the seat, it sounds so corny but my heart stopped. I suddenly forgot about the pain and everyone else around me.

At the end of the game, I wanted to get out as fast as I could so I could finally talk to her. These past weeks have been unbearable without her. I need her. She always knew what to say to make me feel better.

I took a quick shower and got my stuff together and ran out the locker room door. I looked all around until I saw Kelli and Jamie standing together, both looking at me with sympathetic faces. Fuck. I should have known she wouldn't be here.

I put my head down and Jamie called to me but I didn't want to talk. I just kept going. I just wanted to get home so I could be alone.

I got in my car and just started to drive. I haven't been to the grocery store in weeks because I didn't want to be seen in public because I knew if I ran into an angry fan, they would start bashing me and I was in no state to take it. I would just want to kick their ass and probably wouldn't be able to stop.

I stopped and got some dinner and once I got home, I took Cash and Marshal out for a walk because that always made me feel a little better. They would always find ways to make me smile so I've been taking them on a lot of walks.

When I was walking back, I noticed a car in my driveway. Jamie must have stopped by to talk, but I didn't have the energy to talk. Once we started getting closer, Cash and Marshal started going nuts, they kept pulling on the leashes so I let go, knowing Jamie was okay with them jumping on him. I heard someone laugh, but it wasn't Jamie's laugh.

As I got closer, I couldn't believe it. Meghan was sitting on the steps petting Cash and Marshal as they covered her in kisses. Once she saw me, she stood up.

"Hi." She said, weakly.

"Hi." I answered, surprised that she was actually here.

We stood there for a second.

"Do you want to come in?" I said motioning to the door. She agreed and we walked into the house.

Memories from that night just started to flood my thoughts. We haven't been alone together since that night, or even talk so I was freaking out at what she was going to say.

"Do you want something to drink?" I asked walking towards the kitchen.

"Sure, I'll have some water please."

I handed her a glass of water and it wasn't until then that I could tell that she had been crying.

We stood at the counter as we both looked at the glasses in our hands. Not knowing what to say to each other.

"How have you been?" I asked, trying to start something.

"Fine...work has been very stressful. More than usual." She let out a small laugh. "You?" She asked looking up towards me.

I didn't want to tell her how fucked up I've been since everything but if she's watched any of the games or seen anybody's posts about me, I'm sure she already knew the answer. Plus, I'm sure Jamie told Kelli, and she would definitely tell Meghan.

"I've been better." I finally answered.

It fell quiet.

"I'm sorry." I broke the silence. "I'm sorry I blindsided you that night. I just been hiding these feelings for you for over a year now and everyone kept telling me I should tell you and that night we were drinking and you just looked so beautiful and I know I shouldn't have said everything when we were drunk but I don't think I would have had the courage to tell you if I wasn't. Not talking to you every day has been killing me. I miss you. I miss being around you. I miss having you at my games and seeing you after, especially when I have a bad game. You make my life so much better and if the only way to keep you in it is to only be friends than I'll learn to accept that. It'll be hard but if that's what you want, I will try." I said with a few tears escaping. She was the same. It took her a second.

"I'm sorry. I... I shouldn't have ignored you. I just was caught off guard and I didn't know what to say at the time. I couldn't think straight. We've always had that friendship where we always flirted with each other and I always thought it didn't mean anything to you. You can have anyone you want, Tyler, and I would always ask why you would ever want to be with me? I still don't understand why you would pick me."

"Are you saying you don't feel the same way?" I asked, nervous to know the answer.

"I liked you before we even met, Tyler. I was so happy when we met and became friends. We became fast friends and I loved that, especially since I just moved to Dallas and had no one. You always made me feel safe and happy. Whenever I'm upset, you're always there to cheer me up. When I'm excited, you're excited. When I'm mad, you're mad. Whenever I need to vent, you sit there and just listen to me go on about nothing...I want to be with you, Tyler. I want to be with you so bad...but"

"But what?" I asked in a small voice.

"I'm so scared of losing you. What if, God forbid, something goes wrong? Then I lose you. I don't want to lose you." She started to cry. I jumped up and held her face in my hands.

"I would never let anything come between us. I want you in my life and no one else...please?" I said looking into her eyes, hoping she would see how serious I was. Then, she leaned up and our lips crashed into each other.

I pulled away for a split second.

"Does this mean we can give it a shot?" I asked trying to catch my breath.

She looked at me and then smiled.

"Yes." We both smiled as I pulled her into another kiss.