You Don't Have to Go

Meghan and I had our lazy day watching horror movies to comedies but unfortunately, I couldn't find a good moment to bring Tyler up. I rarely saw her the rest of the week since she has constantly been at the arena preparing for a big event that was coming up in a few weeks so it was starting to feel like I was never going to get the chance. Jamie kept asking me and I kept telling him I was doing my best but it felt like he thought I was hiding her answer from him. It was already Friday and I knew there was a fat chance Meghan would agree to go to the game tonight but I knew I had to ask which I would always do before I left for a game so it wouldn't be out of the ordinary. Just as I was sitting on the coach trying to come up with a way to convince her she walked in...

"Ugh, I literally don't want to do anything because I had to pick up the slack of SOME PEOPLE which cost me not to get all the stuff I wanted to get done today because people are incapable of doing their jobs!" Meghan said throwing herself onto the couch.

Seeing her like this gave me a little idea that I knew was probably not going to work but it was worth a shot.

"I know what would cheer you up..." I said trailing off.

"What?" Meghan said turning her head towards my direction.

"I remember a time whenever you would feel down, going to a hockey game would cheer you up..." I said trailing off again trying to read her reaction.

Meghan looks like she was debating on what she was going to say and then she sat up.

"I don't know if I can" she said looking down at her hands.

"It's been weeks since you spoke to Tyler. Doesn't he deserve an answer?" I asked, trying to be sincere.

"I just... I don't know. I..."

"I know you miss him."

"I do. A lot, but... I just don't think I can see him without falling apart and especially go to his game before I even speak to him? I can't." She said and I could see her eyes filling with tears.

"Do you know what you want to do at least? Like, how you feel towards him?" I asked and I could see the wheels in her head turn so I decided to keep going. "You watch his games on tv, I see you pick up your phone and type out multiple messages to him only to delete them. Why do you keep torturing yourself when you know what you want to do? You haven't been in a relationship in a while because I know you're scared of getting hurt again but I don't think Tyler would do anything to hurt you..."

Meghan looked up, her face was stained with the fallen tears and she couldn't say anything. I went over to her and held her while she cried and I felt so bad for my best friend. I didn't want to say anything else to make her upset.

"You don't have to go. I'll come home after the game, okay?"

All she could do was shake her head. She calmly got up and went towards her bedroom, but stopped before she turned the corner.

"It's been weeks since we've spoke. I doubt he even wants me there now." She said in the smallest voice.

"Honey, he's left you a ticket at the box office every game for the past three weeks." I said getting up, walking over to my room to get ready.

**************************************************************

I walked to my seat and waited until the guys skated out for warm ups. I knew Tyler and Jamie were going to be disappointed when they didn't see Meghan next to me but I didn't want to push her. I shot a quick text to Meghan saying how I didn't mean to upset her before I left but all she said was that it was okay and nothing else.

Just then, both teams started to skate out for warm ups and I was looking everywhere for Tyler and Jamie but I didn't see them until a few minutes after the team. Jamie's eyes immediately found mine on his first lap around, I gave him a half smile and he returned it once he saw Meg wasn't there. Just then, Tyler skated by and I could see the hopefulness leave his eyes as he saw she wasn't there.

I felt so bad, I don't understand what is keeping her mind so boggled. Hopefully it doesn't mess with Tyler too much this game because I don't want to see him lose his playing time over not being able to concentrate.

*************************************************************

As the game went on, the Stars were doing pretty good, however, Tyler was not having his best game. I could tell Coach was getting mad and as the period came to an end, I was afraid of what the next period was going to be like.

The Stars were trailing the Avalanche by 2-1, thanks to Klingberg.

I decided to call Meghan to see how she was doing but it went straight to voicemail. I really hope she's okay.

I sat back in my seat just trying to assure myself she was okay and that maybe she left her phone on the couch to get something to eat or to go to the bathroom. Then, I heard the guys behind me talking about the game, so me being nosey I tried to listen.

"Dude, fucking Seguin better get his shit together. He's had 6 turnovers!" One guy said.

"Seriously, he's lucky they didn't score on all six. I don't know what the fuck happened to him. He fucking sucks now." The other said.

"I could play better than that piece of shit. Earn your fucking salary or fucking trade him for someone who will."

I was getting angry at what they were saying but I kept telling myself that they don't understand what is actually going on and not to start something which is really hard for me.

Thankfully the players were coming out again for the start of the second period. I was so nervous for Tyler because I knew he didn't deserve everything that was happening to him. He just expressed how he felt and it just didn't go as he hoped.

The second period started out okay, Tyler was taken off of the first line for a couple shifts and I knew that was really going to mess with his head, but he was doing pretty well on the second line. Just as I was thinking that to myself, he had a pretty bad turnover that resulted in a two on one but luckily Bishop was able to block it.

Just as I sighed in relief, I saw the people next to me stand up like they were letting someone into the row. I didn't think anything of it since the only seat next to me was Meghan's so I didn't get up.

"How do you expect me to sit if you don't get up?"

I heard somebody say and looked up, confused and wondering who the fuck they thought they were talking to only to be met with Meghan standing next to me.

"It's about damn time." I said as we both sat down in ours seats before play was about to resume.

"Shut up." Meghan said as she looked toward the ice.