Chapter 12

Alexandria glanced around nervously at the villagers, her stomach doing twirls. Most of the people she was familiar with, some not so much.

Sophia helped Alexandria up, oblivious to the cold stares the two were receiving. "Are you okay? Are you bleeding? Did he break any bones? Can-" Alexandria ignored the child's questions, pushing Sophia behind her.

She glared at the villagers who stood in front of them. They all seemed to be angry at her, as though she would know the route the pirates were taking. She honestly wasn't given any information when she spoke to Shachi and Penguin. They never once spoke about their crew.

She was tongue tied as to why the villagers were so hostile towards her. With a jolt, realization seemed to zap her. Every moment she spent with the two pirates, people glared daggers at her back. That moment at the book store, that woman assumed it was all an act, the reason as to why Sophia was so nonchalant when speaking to the two.

They didn't believe she was clueless.

"I bet you wanted to join their crew!" A woman exclaimed, causing a few others to roar in agreement, "She wants to be a good-for-nothing pirate!" A man with a scratchy voice yelled, earning another roar of agreement.

Soon enough, Alexandria turned, heading home.

_______

The woman returned, peeking in to find both her parents gone. She then realized they must have seen what happened. With a sinking feeling, she wondered what they now thought of her.

She walked up to her room, grabbing a small black bag from in her closet. She quickly began to pack her things.

_____

Sophia honest to god didn't know what happened.

She saved Alexandria from that horrible man, and then she left without even a thank you. The young child felt a pang of guilt as she realized she must be repaying her for avoiding her all that time. Sophia just didn't want to burden her.

Sophia searched everywhere for her, but she couldn't catch sight of the brunette anywhere. All the inhabitants of the village looked angry, each one continuing their routine with a sour face. Sophia remained unaware that Alexandria was the cause.

The young girl was then pushed aside by an elder man, though he hastily muttered an apology as he hurried along. She passed by two middle aged woman, both of them deep in conversation.

"I can't believe that girl actually befriended those wretched pirates," Sophia stopped, "I know, she's so stupid! I heard she's packing to leave for good," Sophia's heart dropped as she realized who the two woman were speaking about.

"Where is she?" Sophia swiftly turned, a shadow hiding her face as she clenched her fists. "Who?" Both of them looked genuinely amused, "Where is miss Alex?" One of the woman laughed, making the child twitch, "Oh, she's at her house, darling. She's packing to leave. Funny, we were just-"

Sophia turned her back, tuning the woman out as she bound forwards. She turned a corner, seeing Alexandria's house not too far away.

She knocked.

No answer.

Her heart skipped a beat as she bit down on her lip, fighting back a scream of pure rage.

She ran towards the docks, "Alex!" She shrieked, causing people to look at her, "Alex!"

As she ran, rain began pouring down steadily. She held her transparent umbrella in her grasp, though she made no move to shield herself from the rain.

Villagers followed the child, they followed all the way to the docks. Only two ships were docked. One small row boat, which was used for fishing at noon, and a marine battle ship. Marines looked over the railing, watching as a brunette dropped her small bag into the small boat.

"Alex!" The scream echoed as said girl turned around. A villager quickly stepped forwards, grabbing the child around the waist. "No," It was a woman, "She'll corrupt you. You're a child, don't let her influence you!"

Tears flowed down Sophia's face as she cried out, swinging her small umbrella around as she tried to fend off the villagers. "Please, Alex!" She cried, "Don't leave me!"

Alexandria stared at the girl, biting her lip as she tries to turn to her boat, but she stood stalk still. "Please!" Sophia shrieked, causing a few villagers to plug their ears.

Eventually, the child threw all the villagers off of her, running towards the brunette. She hugged the brunette's waist, muttering unintelligible words into her dress as she held onto her. Soon enough, Sophia looked up, her face twisted to a frown. "Don't go..."

Alexandria stared at her, her mouth moving to say something, but she found no words.

Sophia stared at the ground, slowly handing Alexandria her umbrella. "My mom..." Her voice cracked, "She said that whenever you use an umbrella under a roof, you get bad luck," She looked up, forcing a smile, "But when you don't use it under a roof, you get good luck. So now I can protect you."

Alexandria's eyes widened as she stared at the child. Her hand shook as she slowly took the umbrella from her hand.

Alexandria let out a wail, throwing herself into the child. She let out loud sobs as she gripped Sophia's shoulders tightly. After minutes which seemed like seconds, the two separated.

The older woman's makeup was now in ruins, running down her face in rivers. Alexandria put up her new umbrella, shielding herself from the rain.

"I promise you," Her voice shook, "I promise everyone,"

"You people claimed I was a pirate, just watch and see. I'll make sure everyone knows my name– No. I'll make sure they fear it." She smirked as an idea came to her, "I'll make sure the name Kasa Josei* sends fear to the depths of hell."

With that, the girl stepped into her boat, leaving the island. She left, never to return again.

Kasa Josei* - Umbrella Woman