Chapter 2

Several days had passed since Cora had gone to the hospital to visit Steve. Sam had stayed with him at the hospital, leaving Cora home alone during that time. Doing her best to keep busy, she had spent more time at work and volunteering.

Sighing she placed the lid back onto the pan and glanced out the window just as Sam's car pulled into the drive.

"It's about time," she said as she opened the door. "I was starting to wonder if you had forgotten where you lived."

"Ha ha, very funny," Sam greeted her with a hug. "I see the house is still standing. Haven't set anything on fire have you?"

Cora crossed her arms and made a face. "You're the one who has issues with setting stuff on fire. Not me."

Going back into the kitchen Cora asked "You fellas hungry? I just got done making lunch."

"You know it." Sam took a seat at the table and Steve followed.

After giving each of them a cold beer and a plate of food Cora joined them at the table. Turning to Steve she said "It's good to see you up and about. How are you feeling?"

"Better thanks," Steve gave her a small smile, but it didn't reach his eyes. There was something on his mind. Something was bothering him.

They made small talk as they ate, and when they were finished Sam helped Cora clear the table.

"Alright. Spill." Cora cornered Sam as he finished loading the dishwasher. "And don't act all innocent. I know something is up with you two." She looked into the living room where Steve was looking at the photos hanging on the wall.

Sighing Sam looked at Steve, then back to Cora. "I'm going with him. His friend is in trouble. He needs help."

"The same friend that you told me about at the hospital? The one who has something to do with Steve's past? The same one who landed him in the hospital?"

Sam nodded. "Steve thinks he can help him get his memories back. There were these people who hurt him and made him do those things."

"Then find him. And bring him home."

"You're not angry that I'm leaving?"

Cora shook her head. "No. I always knew you would find a way back in. And what better reason than to save a man's life?"

"Thank you," Cora turned to see that Steve had come back into the kitchen while she and Sam had been talking.

Cora placed a hand on Steve's upper arm. Looking him in the eye she said "You don't have to thank me, Steve. You guys are doing what's right. That is what matters most."

Turning to look at both of them she said "Now, you are both going to stay here to night-" Steve opened his mouth to argue but she held up a finger and continued. "No. Don't argue. You're both going to stay tonight. That will give you both time to get rest and better prepare for what lies ahead."

Sam held his hand up in a mock salute. "Ma'am yes ma'am."

Cora crossed her arms over her chest and said "Good. Sam you can start by finishing the laundry as recompense for mouthing off." She turned on her heal and went to her room ignoring Sam's fake outburst of "But I hate laundry!"