Chapter 23

A/N: Somewhat graphic depictions of the following: Bullet wounds, treatment of bullet wounds, blood, vomiting, seizures and pain. Also, I am not a doctor. However the things I've mentioned are based loosely on real life situations I have witnessed. Do not take this as medical advice or how to treat wounds. Also, the kind of seizure mentioned is tonic clonic. As always, feedback is appreciated. Thanks everyone!

"Dr. Johnson has requested your assistance in the medical center, immediately. The Avengers should arrive momentarily." Jarvis spoke up as Cora was finishing loading the dish washer.

Wiping her hands on a hand towel she frowned. The team wasn't due back for another twelve hours. "Did something happen?"

"They finished their final task earlier than anticipated, but there were some...difficulties." Came the clipped tone. "Dr. Johnson is again requesting your assistance. The Avengers' arrival is due in exactly four and a half minutes."

"Thanks Jarvis." Cora closed the door behind her and rushed to the elevator.

She reached the medical center, just as Natasha was helping Clint to sit on one of the beds.

"Cora, look after Barton and Romanoff. I'll take care of Dr. Banner." Michon nodded to Cora as she went by.

"What happened?" Cora asked as Natasha took a seat in the chair next to Clint's bed. She closed the curtains behind her to give them privacy.

"Did something to my left foot." Clint winced as Cora removed his boot as gently as she could.

"Rat bastards came out of nowhere. Almost got run over by a group of them, went to take a step back, tripped over a damn rock." Clint spoke through gritted teeth as Cora went to work evaluating his foot and ankle.

"Language." Came a stern voice from behind her.

Turning, Cora saw that Steve had stepped through the curtain and was standing, watching them with his arms crossed over his chest.

Getting to her feet, Cora rushed over to him and threw her arms around him. "Steve!"

Steve wrapped his arms around Cora, though not nearly as tightly as she had hers around him. "Hey, Doll." She noticed Steve wince as she pulled away. Steve was smiling down at her, but she could see that he was in pain.

Cora eyed him suspiciously and his smile fell and he grew serious. She was about to ask him what was wrong when Steve interrupted her.

"What's the prognosis?"

Cora went back to Clint's foot, and began to wrap it in an ace bandage. "Nothing serious. Just a slight sprain. Keep it elevated, don't be on it more than necessary, and it should heal up pretty quickly."

Steve nodded. "Barton, after you're done here get some R and R." Turning to Natasha he said "Romanoff, you been given the clear yet?" He was using his 'Captain Don't Mess With Me' voice as Cora like to call it.

Seeing Steve in his element, giving orders and being in charge, was so completely different from who he was with Cora in private. He was all business and seeing him like this after just over a month apart, made Cora realize just how much she had missed him. And not only in an innocent way. She shook her head as her thoughts wandered to remembering how it was when Steve used that tone of voice in bed.

"Haven't been checked yet." Came Natasha's reply. "I should be good though. I made it out all right. Just a couple bruises and a scratch or two."

"Well get checked, then help Barton to his apartment. Then you can get some rest too." Steve nodded to the three of them, then left, closing the curtain behind him.