Chapter 3

"You mind if I sit?"

Cora looked up from her book and smiled at Steve. "Sure." She pulled her legs up and tucked them against her to make room for him to sit on the couch.

Steve sat and leaned forward, resting his elbows on his knees. Cora watched as he took a deep breath and swallowed. Without looking at her he said "Cora, I'm sorry."

Frowning she marked her page and set the book down on the coffee table. Leaning towards Steve she made sure that her night gown was covering her legs. Placing her hands over his she said "Steve, what are you talking about?"

Looking over at her, Steve was caught momentarily off guard by her closeness. For the first time he noticed just how blue her eyes were. Like saphires. Steve ran his eyes over her face, taking in every detail. Her long lashes. The freckles that lightly dusted her nose.

Cora was beautiful in her own natural way. For the first time since being un-frozen, Steve felt heat spread across his face.

"Uh, Steve?" Cora reached up and tucked a blond curl behind her ear. "You okay?"

Swallowing Steve cleared his throat and said, "I'm sorry." He looked down to where her hands were holding onto his. Her nails were neat and well manicured, her hands clean. She had painted her nails a deep shade of purple and painted silver glitter over the tips.

Without looking up Steve continued, all the while he turned her hands over and twisted his fingers with hers, as though he were transfixed by her hands. "I have no right to take Sam away from you. He told me that he's the only family you have left, and I hate that. I really do. But I need his help. I can't get Bucky back without him."

"Bucky is the one that hurt you, isn't he?"

Steve sighed and nodded, glancing up at her face then back down to her hands. "Yes. But he wasn't himself. They've hurt him. I've got to help him. He's the only tie I have to my life before."

Cora reached up and placed a hand on Steve's cheek. Gently turning his face toward her she said "It's okay, Steve. I understand. I know it's dangerous. I feel better knowing that you have each other."

Steve was close enough to her now that he could smell her shampoo. It reminded him of strawberries. "Thank you. That means a lot."

Their foreheads were nearly touching. "What will you do while Sam is gone?" He asked.

"Probably go back to my home town. I still own my grandparents' house. And I have friends there I haven't seen in a couple of years." Cora looked up into Steve's crystal blue eyes. "Steve?"

"Yeah?"

"Promise me that you'll be as careful as you can? I would hate for you to get hurt again." Her request came as a mere whisper.

"I'll do my best." Steve replied just a quietly. "Listen, Cora. I..." Steve leaned down and pressed his lips to Cora's.

His lips were warm. That was the first thing Cora noticed. And strong, but not forceful.

Steve brought his hand up and ran his fingers through her hair, the soft curls tickling his hand.

Steve pulled away, pressing his forehead to hers. He was desperate to press his lips against her again. To feel momentarily like he wasn't completely put of place and out of time. After taking a deep breath and savoring her scent, Steve pulled back so he could properly see her. "I'm sorry. I don't know what came over me. That's not something I would normally do."

Cora smiled up at him. "It's alright. I didn't mind it."

"Hey! Love birds! Don't go making a mess on the couch!"

"Sam!" Cora and Steve jumped apart, retreating to opposite ends of the couch.

"Don't be so vulgar!" Cora threw a pillow at Sam.

He caught it and threw it back to her. "What? You two were the ones kissing and making goo goo eyes at each other."

Cora stood and flashed them both a smile. "Well I'm off to bed. I'll see you boys in the morning."

Steve watched as she made her way down the hall and closed the door.

"Mmhmm." Sam cock an eyebrow and crossed his arms over his chest.

"What?" Steve frowned at him.

"Nothing." Sam winked at him.