Chapter 38

A/N: Just putting a warning here for possible triggers. Mentions of some violence and blood. Also some medical stuff. Am I updating too much?

Cora stood up from where she was bent on the floor in front of the toilet. She flushed the handle and went to the sink to brush her teeth.

Another restless night riddled with bad and odd dreams. And another morning spent throwing up. It must have been her nerves and all of the stress.

After taking a shower and getting dressed in a pair of jeans and a light weight sweater, Cora made her way downstairs.

As she was sipping on some ginger ale, a hurried knock sounded at the front door.

Going to answer it, Cora was surprised to see Pepper.

"Pepper, come in, please." Cora stepped aside to let her in, but the red head shook her head.

"I'm sorry. I can't. There isn't enough time. I need your help, Cora. The guys are killing each other, and I think we may be the only ones to stop them."

"Do you know where they are?"

"Yes, we have to hurry."

"Say no more." Cora grabbed Steve's lather jacket and threw it on. Pulling the front door closed behind her, Cora followed Pepper to her white car.

***
On the way to where the fighting had broken out, Pepper filled Cora in on what she had missed.

Steve and the guys had been running from Tony and the team he had put together for just over three weeks. The council had issued warrants for Steve, Bucky and Sam, but were willing to drop the charges on Steve and Sam if Bucky came quietly.

"There's no getting around this. He has to stand trial for his actions." Pepper pulled the car to a stop at the curb. "The longer Steve keeps pushing him to fight, the worse it is going to be for all of them."

"Pushing him?"

Pepper nodded. "Bucky tried to surrender. Steve stopped him. Which is when the really bad fighting started between Steve and Tony."

Cora shook her head. "Oh geeze. Where are they now?"

Pepper nodded towards the large building they had pulled up to. It was an empty warehouse. "Somewhere inside. Things seem quiet. Too quiet."

Cora followed Pepper into the building. There was debris everywhere and scorch marks undoubtedly from Tony's phasers. Cora also noticed several dents and gashes in the wall, undoubtedly made from Steve's shield. Just as they were rounding a corner, Sam ran up to them.

"Bucky surrendered. Widow took him into custody and Cap and Tony started fighting again, they're out back!"

Sam led Pepper and Cora through the warehouse to where Tony and Steve were fighting. He took them to one of the loading docks where the door had been thrown open. The fighting was such a mess, it was hard to tell who had the advantage.

Steve had blood running down his face from a head injury and was favoring his left leg. Tony's suit was badly damaged and giving off sparks. But still the two fought.

Cora watched as Tony blasted Steve back, while trying to regain his footing, but Steve flipped with the blast and moved away. Turning, Tony flew several feet away, trying to distance himself enough to gain the upper hand.

Steve chased after him, raising his shield and grabbing Tony by the leg, slamming him down into the ground. He slammed his shield down on the suit, right in the center over the arc reactor.