Chapter 8

At 5:30 pm Cora took one last look at herself in the mirror. Her vintage red dress came to just above her knees and she wore a pair of black flats on her feet.

Going down stairs she made her way into the kitchen where Steve and Bucky were. "What do you boys think of my new dress?" She did a small twirl, careful not to trip.

Steve and Bucky turned to look at her watching as she turned.

"It looks good," Bucky clapped Steve on the back and made his way out the back door, but not before giving Steve a wink.

Steve didn't say anything, he just continued to look at Cora as she made her way around the kitchen island to stand beside him. "Steve? Does it look bad?" Cora self consciously tugged at the dress, wondering if that was the reason for his stare.

"Wh-what? No!" Steve shook his head. "No, it looks great! I mean, you look great. Your a beautiful dame no matter what you wear. I mean woman...you're a beautiful woman no matter what you're wearing. B-but the dress looks great too!" Steve swallowed and ran his hand over the back of his neck, feeling heat rush to his face. Of course it didn't help that Cora had once again walked in on a conversation with Bucky trying to convince Steve to just "go for it".

Cora giggled. "You know, you're pretty cute when you blush." She leaned in and placed a quick peck on his cheek just as the door bell rang.

"Be right there!" Cora called, turning on her heel. Before leaving the kitchen she turned back to Steve and winked.

"Way to go Rogers. Ninety seven years old and you still haven't learned to talk to women." Steve grabbed a beer from the fridge and made his way out onto the back porch where Sam and Bucky were getting the new grill assembled.

~~~

"Grant! Claire!" Cora opened the door and greeted her friends. "Come in! Everything is all ready in the kitchen."

Grant and his wife Claire stepped through the door followed by Jake their four year old son, and Shelby, Grant's fifteen year old sister.

Shelby had started living with Grant and Claire when their parents had moved out west for their father's job.

"We brought beer, burgers and steak," Grant set the grocery bags on the counter.

"This looks great!" Claire bent over as much as her pregnant belly would allow her and eyed the cake that sat in the center of the island. "Did you make it from scratch?"

"Well of course," Cora crossed her arms feigning being offended. "I even made the raspberry filling from real raspberries."

"Oh yum!" Shelby gave Cora a hug. "You know that's my favorite."

Cora returned the hug and then went to the stove and stirred the baked beans.

"Thank god you're back. It was so boring around here while you were in DC. Grant wouldn't let me have any fun." Shelby leaned against the counter and picked at her nails.

"Hey! I heard that," Grant gave Shelby a glare. "And you can have all the fun you want. As long as it doesn't involve any boys."

"Don't worry Shelby. He'll come around eventually." Cora got Shelby situated at the stove and led Grant out back.

"Guys," Cora addressed Steve, Sam and Bucky who were all standing by the grill, beers in hand. "This is Grant, and his son Jake. Grant and I went to school together. Grant, you remember Sam? And this is Steve and Bucky."

Cora left the guys alone on the back porch to manage getting the grill to work, and went back inside.

"So, Cora, tell me about your new man. Which one is he?" Claire asked, making her way over to the window, followed closely by Shelby.

"New man? You mean Steve? He's not my man. I told you, we've just kissed a few times." Cora followed them to the window and looked out. "He's the one wearing the leather jacket."

"Oh he's cute!" Shelby's eyes grew wide. "So that's Captain America? Way hotter in person. Oh! And look at that butt!"

Shelby and Claire both giggled madly as Steve bent over to hand Jake the red ball that had rolled over to him.

"Would you stop? I'm willing to bet he can hear you guys. Super soldier. Remember?" Cora felt her face burning.

"Oh I bet he'd be super in bed all right," Claire gave a loud wolf whistle, and just as Steve turned to look to where the sound came from, Shelby and Claire ducked down, leaving Cora alone in the window.

Thinking it was Cora who had whistled Steve raised his hand in a small wave. Too embarrassed to do anything else, Cora raised her hand in return, her face as red as her dress.

"I hate you two. I really do." Cora made her way over to the stove.

"What? He's got great assets," Claire shrugged and picked up the platter with the raw hamburgers and steaks. "It looks like the guys finally got the grill going. I'm going to take this out to them."

~~~

"I'm telling you Steve. You've got to just go for it." Grant snapped his mouth shut as he saw his wife approach.

"He's got to just go for what?" Claire handed her husband the platter of food and turned to Steve. "Hi I'm Claire, Grant's wife."

"Steve Rogers." Steve shook her hand. "It's a pleasure Ma'am."

"We're trying to convince Steve to make a move on Cora. You know, ask her to be his girl and all." Sam said as he helped Grant put the first of the food on the grill. "But he's too chicken. You know, cuz he's behind on the times."

"That and he's a ninety seven year old virgin." Bucky blurted out, clapping Steve on the back.

"Bucky! Why don't you just shout it to the whole world?" Steve shoved Bucky away, his face turning red.

"Alright," Bucky cupped his hands around his mouth and began to shout. "Steven Grant Rogers, AKA Captain America, is still a-"

Steve whacked him across the back of his head, while the other guys laughed.

"Laugh all you want." Claire crossed her arms and rested them on top of her belly and gave Grant a glare. "Steve, I will tell you this. I think Cora really likes you. And from the sound of things, you feel the same. Cora isn't going to care if your behind on the times. Just tell her how you feel. The two of you would be good together, I'm sure."

Claire turned and made her way back inside to help Cora and Shelby get the rest of the food ready.

"Well that didn't go as I thought it would." Bucky took a long drink of his beer.

****time skip****

Later that night Steve sat by the fire, watching Cora play tag with Shelby and Jake. Her blond curls bounced around her shoulders as she laughed and turned to run from Shelby who was 'it'.

Taking a swig of his beer, Steve found it hard to swallow around the emotions he felt stirring inside. He could no longer deny that he had serious feelings for Cora. He wondered if he could do it. Could he leave behind the fighting? The war? Could he live peacefully in this small town? Have a family and stability? Someone to come home to?

Shaking his head he stood and made his way inside.

"What's wrong with Steve?" Cora came over and sat in Steve's empty seat, out of breath from running around with the kids.

Sam shrugged. "He's just got a lot on his mind."

Cora waved goodbye to Grant and his family and leaned back in her seat. After watching them leave she said "You sure he's okay? I don't think he's been sleeping well lately."

"He doesn't sleep a lot," Sam said nodding. "On average the most I've ever seen him get at one time was about three hours, and that was while we were looking for Bucky."

"So...what does he do all night? I mean, he's got to be tired. Even if he doesn't show it."

"Well, something tells me he goes running a lot earlier in the morning than he lets on....Tell you what...tonight after everyone has gone to bed, get up around three. I bet you that you'll find him sitting on the porch."

"The porch? Really?" Cora frowned.

"He says it's a nice place to think." Sam got up to go inside and Cora followed him.

Steve was doing dishes and Bucky had just finished putting the leftovers away.

"Awe, you guys didn't have to do all that!" Cora grabbed a clean hand towel and began to dry the dishes as Steve washed them.

Without saying a word, Sam motioned to Bucky and the two of them snuck out of the kitchen, leaving Steve and Cora alone.

They worked silently, Cora drying and stacking while Steve washed. Once all of the dishes had been washed and dried, they began putting them away, stepping around each other and moving as though synchronized.
"Hey, Steve?" Cora asked, finally getting up the courage to say what had been on her mind for most of the day.

Steve turned to her, leaning his hips back against the counter. "Yeah?" He tucked his hands into the pockets of his dark wash jeans.

"Are you...I mean...." Cora sighed unsure of how to start.

"Cora, it's alright. Just...say what you want to say." Steve looked down at her and Cora noticed how tired he looked.

"Steve, are you okay?"

He frowned. "What do you mean?"

Cora shrugged a little and moved to stand beside him, her shoulder gently resting against his left bicep. "You've just been...kind of down lately. And, I can tell you haven't been sleeping well."

It was Steve's turn to shrug. "I'm all right. I've just had a lot on my mind I guess. What makes you think I haven't been sleeping well?"

"Well, for one, you look exhausted. And you're always up super early and you go to bed really late."

Steve laughed a little. "Don't worry. I'm used to functioning on little to no sleep. It really doesn't bother me all that much. It's more a habit than anything."

Cora gave a small smile, not completely convinced. "If you say so." She looked away for a moment and then glanced back at him. "Hey...you want to go for a walk? It's a nice night out."

"Sure," Steve allowed Cora to pull him by the hand, through the house and out the front door. As they passed the living room she shouted to Sam and Bucky "We're going for a walk, we'll be back later!"

They walked aimlessly around the large property, Cora pointing out different things as they went. The old orchard, the foundation of the old barns that used to stand on the South side of the property and the old well. She even told him stories about growing up on the farm.

"This used to be a working farm until my grandparents sold the livestock and the fields." Cora held onto Steve's hand the entire time they walked, and Steve listened intently, occasionally asking a question, but mostly just enjoying her company.

As they circled around the back yard they made their way towards the fire pit. "I'm boring you, aren't I?"

"Not at all. I like hearing about your childhood. And your family." Steve led her over to the two person glider that sat by the fire ring. Taking a seat, he pulled Cora down next to him.

They sat quietly, Cora watching as Steve stoked the fire back to life. Even once the fire got going, the night was still chilly, and Cora shivered.

Without saying a word, Steve put his arm around her and pulled her close, against his left side. Cora laid her head against his chest, closing her eyes and listening to the constant steady beat of his heart.

After a long while, and once the last of the flames had died down again Steve said "We should head inside. It's getting late."

Cora sat up, immediately missing the warmth of him. "Yeah, you're right." She allowed Steve to lead her inside. The TV had been turned off and Sam and Bucky had already gone to their rooms.

Steve led Cora up the stairs, his arm still around her. "Good night Cora." He pulled her closer for just a moment before completely releasing her.

Reaching out, Cora grabbed his hand and pulled him to her, wrapping her arms around his waist.

Steve was caught off guard by her actions, and stood stiff in her arms for a few moments before finally wrapping his arms around her and holding onto her.

"I know you've had something on your mind. And I'm not going to pressure you into talking to me about it. But Steve, I want you to know, I am here for you. No matter what you need. If you need to talk. Or to just sit in silence and know that someone is there. I'm here. I care about you Steve." Cora spoke into his chest, her voice muffled.

Steve pulled her tighter against him and buried his face in her hair. After several moments he pulled away. "Thank you."
Cora stood in the door way to her bedroom and watched as Steve went down the hall to his shared room. After he was out of sight, Cora closed her own door.

****3 a.m****

Cora reached over and turned the alarm off on her phone. Getting out of bed she pulled a black cotton robe over her purple night gown.

As quietly as she could, Cora made her way down the stairs in bare feet. Glancing through the glass of the front door, she saw that Sam had been right. Steve was sitting alone on the porch swing, lost in thought.

Sighing Cora moved to go back up stairs when an idea occurred to her. She made her way into the kitchen and prepared two mugs of cocoa. Taking them in her hands, she made her way out onto the porch.

"Cocoa?" She sat down next to Steve and handed him a mug. Looking him over, Cora noticed that he had changed out of his clothes and into a plain white t-shirt and grey sweat pants.

"Thanks," Steve took the mug and sipped. "Did I wake you?"

"Not really, no." Cora sat back on the swing, pulling her feet up beside her and allowing Steve to slowly push them back and forth.

Steve didn't say anything more. Rather he just continued to stare off into the dark. Cora couldn't help but notice how pale he was. And his skin was covered in a fine layer if sweat. His hands shook slightly as he brought the mug up to his lips and took another drink.

Cora set her mug on the table to the side of the swing, and when she leaned back onto the swing, she rested her head gently on Steve's shoulder. Reaching out she took his left hand in hers and said "Steve, are you okay?"

"Yeah." His reply was barely a whisper, and if Cora hadn't been so close to him, she wouldn't have heard it.

"You suck at lying Captain."

Steve blinked. It was the first time Cora had referred to him as Captain in a serious manner. And although she didn't say it in a mean way, he realized that he didn't like it when she referred to him as Captain. It felt....too impersonal. Too...formal. "Steve." He said. "Please. Call me Steve."

Cora looked up at him, his tone of voice catching her attention. If she didn't know better, she'd say that he sounded sad. No, Cora thought to herself. He sounds heart broken.

Moving so she could look at him, Cora took his cheek in her hand and turned him so that he was looking at her. "I will call you Steve all day long if you tell me what's wrong."

Steve shook his head and set his mug down. "I can't."

"And why not? Steve, whatever it is, you can trust me. I would never do anything to hurt you."

"No," Steve shook his head again. "It's not that. I just....don't know how."

"Don't know how?" Cora put herself against his left side and laid her head on his chest while wrapping an arm around his stomach. She tried not to think about the rock hard muscles she felt beneath her hand, but they were hard to miss.

"I've never really had someone to talk to. I'm so used to dealing with things on my own..."

"You just start talking and eventually it just flows."

"I don't know where to start." Steve tucked his arm around her, holding her close.

"Alright. Why not start with telling me why you're sitting out here in the middle of the night."

Steve glanced at her and then back up to look out over the misty yard. "I don't sleep well at night. I haven't slept a full night since waking up in New York after being frozen in the ice. When it's quiet, I can't stop thinking. And when I manage to fall asleep, I have nightmares. Like watching a never ending movie that always plays the same things. All of my mistakes. My regrets. My fears."

"Is that what you think about too? The war?"

"Yes. And no." Steve took a deep breath. "Lately I've had something completely different on my mind. Something that makes all of my sacrifices and suffering seem worth it. But at the same time, it makes me feel even worse because I know that it can never be."

"And what would that be?" Cora laced her fingers with his and gently rubbed circles over his hand.

"You."

Cora frowned and sat up to look at him. "Me? What have I got to do with anything? Steve if I did something that upset you I'm so so-"

Steve pulled her against him and pressed his lips to hers.

Cora brought her hands up and circled her arms around his neck, allowing Steve to pull her onto his lap.

When they finally broke apart they rested their foreheads against each other, both panting for air.

"You haven't done anything wrong Cora." Steve pressed a kiss to her forehead. "It's just, I've fallen in love with you. Despite the fact that it goes against how I was raised and the time I grew up in." He shook his head, leaning back a bit, but continued to hold onto her, keeping her on his lap. "After losing Peggy, I swore I'd never fall again. That I would be a soldier and absolutely nothing else. Falling in and taking orders. That's all I know. I'm not even sure I could have a life outside of Captain America. So long as I'm living, that's all I'm ever going to be. It's all I will ever have."

Cora shook her head. "You're wrong." Resting her head on Steve's right shoulder, she brought her hand up and ran her fingers through his hair. "You're not just Captain America. You're not just a soldier. That may be all you know, but it is not all that you are. You can be and do anything that you want. Even the greatest of warriors get tired, Steve. I'm sure if you talked to whoever it is that gives you orders, maybe they will let you retire. Or at the very least, maybe you can be some sort of consultant. Then you could live wherever and do whatever you want, and instead of always being sent on missions, they only contact you when you are really needed."

"Even if that worked, and they did let me leave, I have too many enemies to have a normal life."

"Normal," Cora pressed her lips to Steve's. "Is vastly over rated."

Steve laughed, feeling a little better. "I'm still no good at this dating thing. I wasn't even good at it in the forties."

Cora laughed. "Well you've already got the hard part done."

"And what's that?"

Cora leaned into Steve's ear, acting as though she were sharing a secret. "Getting the girl of course." She allowed her lips to brush against the lobe of his ear. From his ear and down the side of his neck she pressed light kisses.

Steve gulped, feeling the hair on the back of his neck stand up. Trying his best to ignore the feel of her lips on his neck, he said with a shaky voice "So you'll do me the honor of being my girl?"

Cora turned his face to her and kissed him passionately. "Steve, I already am your girl."