Chapter 17

"So what's our next stop?" Cora asked Steve as she tucked herself into his side, keeping warm against the winter wind.

Steve wrapped his arm around Cora's shoulders and held her close. "I thought we could get a bite to eat for supper before heading back. There's a burger joint about a block and a half from here. It's been open since I was a teenager. Bucky and I used to go there. Best malts in the city. Great burgers too. I guess that's why they've been open since the thirties..." Steve frowned as though thinking of how long ago that was.

Cora patted his arm reassuringly. "It's alright sweetie. I'm sure it'll be fine."

After Steve's morning meeting had ended, he and Cora had shared an early lunch and then spent the day out on the town. Steve had taken her to see the Statue of Liberty as well as other tourist spots that she had wanted to see.

Right now they were in Brooklyn, Steve showing Cora his old neighborhood, or at least what was left of it. He pointed out the location of his old school and the place he had lived with his mother. The park where he and Bucky used to play. Even the place where his first apartment had been, although the original building had burned down in the seventies.

Steve stopped walking and stood, staring into an alley between two old, run down buildings with boarded up windows.

"Steve?" Cora looked up at him worriedly.

"I got beat up in that alley. I had gone to the picture show after being denied enlistment again. There was a guy being disrespectful...he dragged me out here." Steve's eyes misted over a bit. "Bucky came just in time to save me of course. That was the last night I saw him before he shipped out for England. The next time I saw him, he was being held by HYDRA."

Cora wrapped her arms around Steve. "And you saved him. Along with all those other people."

Steve gave a short nod. "I guess."

"Come on, you. I can hear your stomach growling." Cora stuck her hands under Steve's jacket and tickled his sides. She knew he wasn't comfortable with PDA but she couldn't help it.

Steve laughed, shirking away from the onslaught of her fingers. "Alright, alright!"

When she stopped, Steve gave a sly grin. "You better watch it. A dame like you out here after dark...might run into trouble..." He reached towards her and pulled her against him. "You never know who you might run into. Could be dangerous..." He whispered the last bit in her ear, his voice deep and husky.

Cora leaned into his touch, until he suddenly began to tickle her. She shrieked, laughing and not caring who heard or saw. Turning around so her back was against him, Cora made to escape, but he proved too strong for her. Their laughter mixed together until they were both breathless.

"Okay, mercy! Mercy!" Cora laughed out, leaning over, her stomach hurting from laughing so hard.

Steve helped her to stand up straight, and she pressed her back against him. "That was a dirty trick, Rogers."

"Hmm, maybe so, but you enjoyed it all the same." He leaned down and kissed her neck, pulling her backwards toward the alley so that they were out of view from the street.

"Is this where you bring all your girls?" Cora asked coyly, turning in his embrace. Steve stood with his back against the brick of the building, making his brown leather jacket dusty.

"Only you doll," Steve kissed her. "At least here I can kiss you without people staring."

"Oh?" Cora turned again, leaning back against him, feeling his warmth radiate through her. She playfully sashayed her hips against Steve's groin, feeling him grow stiff and hearing him gasp a little.