Chapter 21

Cora sighed placing the file she was currently reading back on the dining table. Glancing at the clock she shook her head. She'd been reading for three hours, trying to learn everything she was supposed to know for work.

She had started working two and a half weeks ago. It'd been two weeks since she'd heard anything from Steve. The last message she'd received had been that they had made it to their destination and set up base.

Michon had told Cora that no news was good news, and that there was a lot going on that Cora wasn't privy to know. That only people like Maria Hill could know. She understood, and accepted that fact, but it didn't make it any easier to deal with. Would they even tell her if something were going on? Or if something bad had happened?

It was strange being in Steve's apartment without him, and while he had made it clear that the apartment was as much hers as it was his, it just wasn't home without him.

Michon had started Cora off with a stack of files to read, all going in depth on each Avenger, their medical history and related information that Cora may need in order to treat them. She had read through everyone's, feeling a little as though she were invading their privacy.

When she had reached Steve's file, which had been one of the thickest, it included everything from his early childhood up through injuries sustained during the Battle of New York and after. Steve had told Cora that growing up he'd always been sick, but the things she'd read in his file were just... It was wrong that anyone, child or otherwise would have had to live with illnesses like that. Everything from severe asthma to epilepsy. Not to mention the problems caused from illnesses being treated. Like stomach ulcers and chest pain. Steve had literally been born to die. If he hadn't been given the serum he probably would've died before turning twenty-five. And that would have been hopeful thinking. The serum had quite literally saved Steve's life.

Shaking her head, Cora stood, gathering all of the files and stacking them neatly. Then, going into the kitchen, she began making herself a cup of tea when Jarvis spoke up.

"Mr. Wilson and Mr. Barnes are at the door, Miss Anderson. Shall I let then in?"

"Yes, please. Thank you Jarvis." Cora dipped her tea bag into the mug, just as Bucky and Sam came in.

"Hey Cora," Sam greeted. "Get your work done?" He nodded towards the stack of files.

She shrugged, going with them over to the couch where they sat. "Still working on them. I got through the profiles, now I'm studying for a clinical examination Monday."

"Exams already?" Bucky leaned back on the couch. "That's pretty fast isn't it?"

"I guess Tony and Michon pulled some strings. At this rate I'll have my degree in a few months. At least so I can legally be a nurse for Stark Industries Medical, not necessarily for an actual hospital." Cora sipped her tea. "Can I get you guys anything?"

They both declined and the three of them sat in silence for a moment. Until Bucky spoke up.

"So we were thinking," He glanced at Sam wondering how to continue.

"Don't look at me," Sam shook his head. "This was Cap's idea. Not mine."

"What was Steve's idea?" Cora set her mug of tea down on the coffee table and eyed both men suspiciously.

"I talked to Steve earlier today," Bucky said, almost sheepishly. "He wants us to teach you self defense."

"Oh." Cora leaned back in her seat, trying to ignore the pang in her gut at that. She knew Bucky was acting as intel on certain things for the Avengers, and she shouldn't be upset that he spoke with Steve that very day. Cora told herself that it didn't upset her...but part of her couldn't help but think, if Steve could take the time away from the mission to ask Bucky to teach her something, couldn't he also, maybe send her a message? Hell, when he spoke to Bucky it wasn't even on a secure line, whereas the one they used was.