II

Screams filled the city streets as people scrambled for cover, the same screams she had heard before not months earlier. The crowds surged and pulled Aya with them, away from Poe. She could hardly breathe in the crush.

The starships grew larger and louder as she pulled herself from the surge of people to the side of the street, to the point where they began to drown out the screams of the people below. Slowly, they began to eclipse the sun and cast long shadows on the roads.

She found herself standing in a type of courtyard where the street grew much wider and was surrounded by now-abandoned stalls. Instantly, she began to look for a weapon of sorts. Running, she ripped open the stalls in search of anything. Eventually she found a long metal skewer in a food stall that was a similar weight to her lightsaber.

The sound was tremendous as she began to sprint through the crowds, pushing people into random buildings and helping people up. She grabbed a young boy who was screaming in the centre of the street and placed him in a large box in one of the stalls. Just as she closed the lid, telling him to stay quiet, the starships opened fire.

People were mowed down as flaming red shots were fired into the thinning crowds. Aya instantly lifted a wounded woman up and carried her into shelter. By now she was out of breath but not yet aching, sweat began to line her forehead, her hands were covered in dirt and dust.

Large bangs erupted from parts of the city, causing massive explosions to erupt in the air. Gripping her weapon, she sprinted towards an old man who had fallen across the street. But before she could reach him, that whole side of the street exploded, throwing her backwards.

She landed harshly on the hard ground with her ears ringing and her eyes watering. The raging fires billowed out in front of her, engulfing the man she was attempting to save. For a few seconds she couldn't move, her body seared with pain, a sensation that she had not yet experienced. She felt the heat gently caress her face and observed the sound of her irregular breathing and heartbeat, both louder than the cacophony surrounding her.

With a groan she pulled herself upright and out of her daze, snatching up her weapon in the process.  During an explosion, one of the largest ships had begun to land in the courtyard, sending large billows of wind in her direction. Wincing away from the harsh wind and dust being forced towards her, she ran as fast as possible to an upturned table that she then hid behind.

Protected from the wind and shots being fired she glanced over the top of the table carefully. The machine roared as it perched on the ground, bodies lay about the streets in fire, some groaning, some immobile. Smoke engulfed everything, burning her eyes. With a metallic crunch the large landing doors began to open, from it, men in white suits poured out, grasping blasters.

They spread across the city, dispersing as they went, shooting anything that moved. Before long they approached the table she was hidden behind so, gripping her sword tightly, she sprung into action.

She acted as if the skewer was a lightsaber as she sharply hit a stormtrooper in the head, knocking him out instantly. With her left hand she instantly pulled the blaster from his fingers and quickly shot another in front of her, still crouching. Aya stood upright and deflected one of the shots aimed at her with the metal rod, hitting it back into the shooter's stomach. At the same time she shot another behind them.

She continued on her rampage, joining the small handful of people who were wielding guns of all shapes and sizes. At one point a shout from one of them caused her to turn around and find a stormtrooper running at her from behind. Without hesitation, she thrust the metal rod into their ribcage, causing them to slump instantly. Swallowing the lump in her throat, she looked around to see more characters emerging from the ship.