XXVII

It had been harder for Aya to track down the right people to allow her to get the second piece where she wanted. Before she had even made the map, she knew where the second piece needed to go. Throughout the history of the galaxy, an entire race silently watched everything. They were a critical part of the infrastructure, holding it together like glue. Yet they were almost always overlooked and ignored, making them perfect for the job.

Finding the right droid, however, had proven to be more difficult that expected. After more manipulation and searching than Aya would care to admit, she had finally found the perfect one. It was a protocol droid that had been modified into an espionage droid, perfect for slipping in and out of enemy lines without detection. It appeared that the rebels were using it to transfer information across the galaxy undetected, a method developed by General Leia following the Intergalactic War.

When Aya finally decided to cross paths with it, it had been 'sold' to Wagna Pulch, a wealthy smuggler who just so happened to be journeying across the length of the galaxy. She sensed its distrust in her as soon as she entered the building. The droid was intelligent, it knew when it was being followed.

The room was large but claustrophobic, filled to the brim with throbbing life and raucous laughter. It held a gloomy array of colour; smoke gave the room its own atmosphere and transformed it into a living hallucination of silhouettes and dulled colours. Occasionally bright neon lights would appear but only held a pool of luminescence for a short while before becoming engulfed by the fumes.

Aya shouldered her way through the thickened crowds, her skin becoming clammy in the humidity. She was shrouded in semi-transparent deep red silken robes that were held together by a tight golden belt around her waist. They fluttered about her in an odd fashion that she found impractical and distracting but it helped her blend into the eccentric population of the planet. Beneath, a jet black bodysuit gave her the freedom she desired however it was beginning to overheat in the temperature.

She peered over the scarlet material that covered her nose and mouth before loosely wrapping over her head. Trinkets and amulets dangled from it, occasionally obscuring her view. As soon as she could, Aya would get rid of the ridiculous outfit. She had secured it, as always, from the nearest available source as soon as she had stepped onto the planet. Unfortunately she had almost been caught, preventing her from choosing which one to take.

People walked by dressed in little to no clothing. The building was known for its level of obscenities; nobody bothered to hide it. Generally, Aya disliked the mood of the room and the level of attention she was getting. With a grimace she pushed past yet another girl before sighting a familiar face through the thick crowd.

Wagna Pulch was an oath of a creature. He had great bulbous limbs that seemed to always be covered in a thin layer of moisture. From the large pink folds of his forehead, two small beady eyes peered out like black buttons. He seemed to perfectly personify the disgusting character he portrayed and the corrupt nature of his work.

Before long Aya stood before him, bowing slightly. He was seated on a bed of cushions and surrounded by a multitude of characters, each caring for him in their own ways. One of them was a mute protocol droid, holding a tray of drinks and watching Aya with a distrustful gaze. "Wagna Pulch, is it a pleasure to finally meet you, I have heard many great stories of your achievements." She said swiftly and confidently. He eyed her slowly as a second droid to his right translated what she had said into his mother tongue.

He spoke with a language that sounded like he was gagging. The droid turned back to her. "My master wishes to know of your intentions." It said in a robotic voice.

Accepting the challenge, Aya began to talk in his language, already growing irritated by the droid. She felt the words form in her mouth and transform the sounds in her ears. "I was passing through and wondered if you may possibly be able to help a young, new entrepreneur in the business. With your guidance, Sir, I could grow to become a beneficial partner."

For a second he took in her words, surprised at her fluency with his language, but his mind quickly changed and he spoke with a low rumbling tone. "Why would I help the likes of you, child?"

She found herself bowing once more. "For I am young and willing to try anything, I think you'll find that I am quick to learn and eager to impress. With your contribution I could help expand your business by using the contacts I have made across the galaxy."

"What contacts would you have that I haven't already got?" He spoke with a spiteful, rumbling laughter. " You underestimate my existing power."

Around him his peers and servants began to laugh in a similar tone. But, ignoring this, Aya reached into one of the folds of her robe. She pulled out with an outstretched hand a single black glove, one she had worn on her escape from the First Order. On it, the recognisable red emblem shone like a beacon. At the sight of it Wagna's face dropped.

"Where did you get hold of this?" He spoke, reaching out to take it. She pulled it away and tucked it back into her robes.

"A friend had it made for me. A friend who goes by the name of Kylo Ren." A gasp echoed as his subjects fell into silence.

"What do you want?" He said somewhat quietly.

"I am in need of assistance on board my ship, possibly a co-pilot, preferably a droid."

"I can find whatever droid you may want. I could even buy you a new ship."

"That wont be required. I couldn't help but notice the droid stood to your left. Is it for sale?"

He turned to face the silent droid and looked at it as if seeing it for the first time. "That thing. It doesn't even speak, only communicates through binary."

"Perfect, that is what I am looking for."

"Then consider it yours, as long as you inform your friend of my generosity."

"I will do so with much enthusiasm." She said with a smile before turning to the droid. "Follow me."

Aya strode out of the building with a deep breath, taking in the clean air like she was drinking water for the first time. The droid reluctantly trailed behind her. It was planning its escape already. "Don't think about running." She began, wrapping her robe around her more tightly and walking away from the doorway. "I know of your intentions and thoughts."

It was still silent but remained walking behind her. "I know that you are travelling from the Unknown Regions to a rebel base situated in the opposite side of the galaxy with very important information regarding The First Order."

She felt it stop walking. "I'm not with them, the glove was simply a way of getting his attention. You should be grateful, he was planning on having you melted down tomorrow."

A series of beeps sounded from behind her. How do I know you can be trusted?

Aya turned to face the silver droid. "In my pocket I have a map that leads directly to Luke Skywalker. You can look at it, I know your memory cells have been altered so that you can't reproduce anything. I want you to do your job and deliver something for me."

She felt the droid's mind shift at her words. The extent of what she had just told it set into it and with a turn of its head, it spoke. Where do you want me to take it?