XXIV

For as long as he could remember, Kylo Ren could not sleep peacefully. Wracked with visions of horror and evil, he would awake, soaked in his sweat. Every night he would wake up at least three times, on some nights he wouldn't bother to sleep at all. Sometimes he would give up and wander the empty corridors of the Star Destroyer.

This night was no different.

After hours of lying awake, he had fallen into a deep sleep, succumbing to the darkness. It was deep but most certainly not dreamless. He shifted and turned as he slept, rolling his sheets into a mess until they barely covered him.

He felt himself jolt at the sound of a vaguely familiar scream echo through the walls of the ship. Worry shot through his mind like a bullet as he felt himself run towards it. The corridors were empty, they were scarily silent. Not a single noise could be heard aside from the screams and his metallic footsteps, not even the hum of the ship.

He was fully dressed in his suit but his helmet was missing. However he barely noticed its absence as he sprinted towards the sound. The screaming got louder as he approached it, he held his lightsaber that flickered dangerously in his movement. Each scream was short and loud but held worryingly long intervals between them. They pierced his ears like knives. However the silence in between them grew longer and Kylo began to worry even more.

He turned into another corridor to find two figures standing in it, the first two people he had seen so far. His heart hammered in his chest and his worry turned to rage as he recognised them. Neither of them had noticed him.

"Shut up, or you'll lose your tongue." Hux sneered as he clasped his hand around her mouth, muffling her cries. She was pinned against the hard metal wall; her sword lay on the floor a few feet away. Pressing himself against her and pushing her hands harder into the wall with his second hand, he leant towards her. Hux's breath fanned onto her face as his nose stood centimetres away from hers. His tone was calmer but still more malevolent as he spoke again. "I want you, to be mine."

Aya was not shaking. Tears did not sit in her eyes let alone slide down her cheeks. Her rage-filled, unflinching gaze stared directly into Hux's. She had screamed because she knew that Kylo would hear her. He had not instantly recognised her due to her attire. She wore a silken black floor-length dress. It hung precariously on her frame showing off her slender neck and her chest. Aya appeared more feminine than he had ever seen before. It was out of character and unusual. But she looked beautiful.

Kylo felt himself walking towards them, driven by his anger, not his mind. Aya saw him before Hux did, her eyes filled with relief. At the sound of Kylo's footsteps, Hux turned and saw him, still restraining Aya. Kylo's vision was obscured by his hatred, his stomach turned and a million voices inside of him screamed at once. But one scream stood out above the others. How dare he.

He reached out and grabbed the man's collar, forcefully pulling him away from Aya. Her hands dropped from above her head but she stayed by the wall. He didn't even think twice as he stared into Hux's fearful eyes and raised his lightsaber. In one fell swoop he slit the man's throat, still gripping his collar. The sound of two large thumps echoed down the corridor. His head landed before the rest of his body.

However Kylo didn't even watch as he had turned to Aya who no longer pressed herself against the wall. As she approached him, she breathed out his name in relief. "Kylo."

Silently sheathing his lightsaber, Kylo raised his arms and pulled her into an embrace. The millions of voices continued to scream out, this time only louder, as he felt her warm body pressed against his own. His actions were not his, at least he thought they weren't. As, ignoring the millions of screaming voices, he delicately took her face in his hands and kissed her.