XXVI

Aya had given herself an hour before Kylo would wake; she couldn't bring herself to constrain him for any longer. Despite her attempts, she couldn't remove him from her mind. As she strode down the familiar metal corridors of the Star Destroyer, she could feel his pain and the restlessness of his unconscious state. No matter how hard she tried, she could not swallow the guilt.

Still, she made her way to one of the numerous docking bays. As she passed the many characters dressed in their shining white armour or black suits, she relished in the fact it would be the last time she would cross paths with them. Despite the time she had spent there, it was lifeless and hollow, empty of the warm, welcoming aura that lay in the smouldering remains of the rebel base.

When she strolled into the docking bay and towards the TIE fighters, nobody stopped her. Movement and noise surrounded her. The room was filled with the sound of clacking feet against the hard floor and echoes of workers tending to the various ships. Before long Aya found herself opening the cockpit of one of the many TIE fighters.

It was not unusual for her to go on solo missions in her own TIE fighter. So, helped by her manipulation of the ship's computers, she had complete clearance to leave without any rising suspicions. When she had seated herself in the cramped cockpit and turned all of the systems on, nothing stopped her from releasing the tether that connected the fighter to the bay.

Without a single moment of hesitation, she flew through the docking bay and out into open space. Not a single ship followed her. Not a single drop of emotion made its way to her face.

Her mind seemed to have set itself into a numbed state of being. As she flew across the galaxy, no thoughts or worries seemed to rise their ugly heads. She was set on getting it all over and done with, to put all of her actions behind her. Her face could have been carved in stone it was so still, accompanied by her tight grip on the ship's controls. As she flew she carefully cut any of the invisible ties that she still felt between her and Kylo. It was a surprisingly difficult task, it seemed they had been connected by an incredibly strong red rope in the force. However when she was finished, she could hardly feel his presence. All she could feel was the distant throb of his heartbeat.

The planet she landed on was barely populated. It consisted of vast forests and lakes that engulfed most of the planet's surface. When she landed in one of the thickest parts of the woods, she destroyed as much of the TIE as possible, getting rid of any tracking device that lay in it. It took her all day to find civilisation. From then it didn't take her long to track down the nearest available starship heading out of the star system.

Getting as far away from The First Order as possible, she began to hop from ship to ship. Sometimes she would offer her services to the pilot, sometimes she would travel as a stowaway in the ship's hull. She didn't feel it when Kylo awoke, but she knew of the pain he must have been going through. Of course, they tried to track her down. But she easily wiped the memories of those who saw her. Her manipulation of the force allowed her to become invisible.

Aya arrived in the main port of Niima Outpost in Jakku a week after she had run from The Order. They had no presence in this part of the galaxy due to it being so central, so she was somewhat safe from The First Order's clutches. Slinging her worn leather bag (Which she had stolen on one of the moons of Riflor) around her shoulders, she strode into the thick crowds before raising her brown hood. Her lightsaber was tucked into her belt, hid by her cloak. She hadn't yet needed to use it.

After heavy negotiations with a scavenger she had secured herself enough food and water, and a luggabeast to ride on. With that she began her journey across the merciless deserts of Jakku. The desert was silent and harsh, she quickly became used to the unbearable heat and scolding hot sand. Grateful for the beast she was riding on, she carried on, alone, through the wilderness.

Her destination wasn't hard to find. Although small, the village of Tuanul radiated with the force like a beacon. She could feel it from miles away, the throbbing glow of the force's movements. However, when she arrived she wasn't expected and was faced by the terrified glances of numerous villagers.

As she climbed down from the luggabeast people moved into their huts. They rarely got visitors, especially ones who caused massive disturbances in the force. Although none of the inhabitants were force-sensitive, they all knew and believed in the ways of the force. Aya's presence didn't go unnoticed.

Slipping her bag from the side of the beast, she walked into the small, deserted village. When she arrived at the hut she was looking for, she removed the beige material that she had wrapped around her head and mouth. Crouching slightly, she stepped through the doorway, sweeping aside the long amulets that hung in the opening. As she entered an old man turned to look at her. "I assume you are Lor San Tekka." She spoke with confidence to the man.

He frowned slightly. "You assume correctly, and who may you be?"

"A friend of the force."

His frown deepened. "More than a friend I think."

She smirked. "Someone who knows that you are trustworthy, who knows that you have seen what I have seen and so will understand the extent of what I am about to ask of you."

"Why are you here, young one?" He said mistakenly.

"My friend, I am far from young. I am here to bring peace to the galaxy by restoring the balance of the force." She slowed her speech slightly, speaking in a different tone. "I'm sure, you know who I am."

His frown disappeared entirely, being replaced by a look of shock. "Has it become that bad? Is Luke truly lost?"

"Not anymore." She said simply, pulling out a fragment of the map from her bag. She held it out in front of her in the palm of her hand. He stared at it in awe, knowing exactly what it was. "I need you to take care of this for me until the time comes when it is needed. You will know when that is."

He nodded slowly and gently took the component from her hand. "I will ensure its safety."

She watched with a look of amusement, as the man turned to place it carefully in a small bag, before hiding it in a wooden box. He held an air of history that few people in this galaxy shared. He was far wiser than many of the men before him and he had heard the voices of many famous, and infamous, Jedi. "You knew them didn't you," She said eventually, breaking the growing silence. He turned to face her, the map now completely hidden. "Anakin Skywalker, Luke, even Ben Solo."

Nodding slightly, he replied. "Old names, but they have certainly not been forgotten, apart from Ben maybe."

"I doubt that."

There was a moment of silence before he spoke. "You've seen him haven't you. He has talked to you."

She nodded. "Hope isn't lost, he is still alive."

The old man smiled at her warmly. "Your map is safe with me."

"Thank you." She replied with a smile mirroring his. Aya turned to leave but stopped when he spoke again.

"There is another," She turned to face him, confusion running across her features. "There is a girl. It is but a rumour, but I am certain that it is true. When Kylo Ren destroyed the temple, he spared a girl. She is said to be alive on this planet."

"What is her name?"

"I don't know. But I am sure that he does."

She paused for a moment, smiling lightly. Ben Solo was still very much alive. The proof of that lay in the girl, and in the eyes that he hid behind his mask. "Goodbye Lor San Tekka. I hope we don't have to meet again." She said simply, bowing her head slightly.

"As do I." He responded with a smile. Aya could tell in that expression that he was the most trustworthy man she could have chosen. Her confidence in him grew and her worry lessened as she turned and walked out of the hut.