XVII

His glance lasted for less than a second before he had to continue fighting. After Aya's quick thinking, Ren's actions seemed more angry and powerful. But, even at that distance, it was clear that the battle was only getting worse. Aya felt helpless as she watched the throng of yellow figures grow stronger, almost eclipsing the glow of Ren's lightsaber.

The amount of creatures that were flooding towards the battle was worrying. They were quickly outnumbering the number of stormtroopers. They needed help. "Forty-Two, Eight-One, and Quick." She shouted out commands, holding the telescope to her eye. The three stormtroopers quickly joined her, gripping their blasters tightly. "You have the best eye, focus on the hoard of creatures approaching that tree." She yelled with her robotic voice, pointing out towards the battle.

"Seven, Bolt, and Shiny. You defend this watchtower at the base. Thirty and One, defend this watchtower from the top." Aya put down the telescope, she swiftly sheathed her sword and pulled the bow over herself. As she gathered a selection of arrows, she continued. "I want the rest of you to follow me, get hold of a spear or knife en route. We're helping them out."

With that she raced down the watchtower, the rest of her squadron in tow, the stairs creaked under their footsteps. When they reached the bottom, she started shouting orders again. "Everybody get into pairs and defend the other, I don't want anyone else dying on me, we're the best squadron in the whole division. Duke, you can join me as you're the best shot with a bow."

Their movements were swift and effortless as they carved their way towards the battle. Aya had trained them to specifically fight this species so they each knew their weak spots. Leading the front, with Duke beside her, Aya easily got them to the battle. When they found themselves between two large trees, Aya shouted out the simple command. "Double formation."

Instantly, they formed two rows, one standing and one kneeling in front. Every one of them raised their blasters towards the wall of yellow figures stood before them. Shooting the gills of one creature, Aya shouted once more. "Fire!"

A torrent of bolts were shot towards the wall; bodies dropped to the ground. The back row ran in front of the first row before kneeling down. The other row stood up. "Fire!" Aya shouted once more, defending her squadron from the back. They moved forwards once more in a fluid movement like a well-oiled machine. Slowly they carved their way through the crowd, efficiently taking down dozens of the creatures. They were like one being, taking large steps forwards like that of a giant. All of her troops remained. The reptilians didn't stand a chance.

They stopped at Aya's command before rushing into the thick of the battle behind her. The noise was phenomenal. It brutally attacked everyone's ears but that didn't stop them. Around them, the air was filled with the stench of blood, mud, and smoke. Aya's eyes stung and watered as she fought. Yet she still fought like no other. The extra training she had given her squadron was proving to be extremely helpful as they were already helping the battle tremendously.

In the chaos of the crowd, Kylo Ren noticed the sudden decrease in creatures attacking him. Mercilessly slicing one in half, he looked up through the madness to see a black-clad figure effortlessly taking down dozens of them. With her sword in one hand and a stolen bow in the other, Aya fought with a face of concentration. Her eyebrows were pulled closely together as she focused on her graceful, calculated movements. It was as though she was dancing.

After pulling her sword from the gut of a yellow body, she turned towards Kylo and raised her bow, loading it as she moved. Panic crossed Ren's mind. He raised his lightsaber and jumped to the side as her arrow whizzed passed him. With a thump, it embedded itself into the chest of a creature behind him. By the time it had fallen to the floor, Aya had turned away and was now clashing blades with another attacker.