Planning our Pretense

"Spera, child wake up! You'll be late for school." Laurely jostled me awake.

I awoke slowly but surely, and after a few seconds fully realized the gravity of my lateness. The covers were tossed aside as I rose and readied myself for the day ahead - Laurely leaving the room to prepare my breakfast.

I hastily packed my school bag before exiting the room and jogging towards the kitchen to pick up the homemade meal. I was about to leave with the meal before Laurely intervened.

"Now since when is an education more important than sitting down for a good meal." She scolded, waving an egg-coated spatula in my general direction.

"Ummm... no comment."

"Then sit down with that food and enjoy it. You are almost as bad as Henry and Jacob!" She continued, focusing her attention back on the stove.

"I'm sorry ma'am, but who exactly are Henry and Jacob?" I asked after finishing a bite of food.

"Oh, I forgot you but only saw my children. Well, Sophia and Vincent are the elder set of twins ruling this household. Henry and Jacob are the younger boys, quite rambunctious ones they are..." She continued on and I was forced to cut our conversation short as I finished eating and resumed my trek to school.

The walk took no longer than ten minutes. I felt Rii's comforting presence in my subconscious as I knew she was lingering in the shadows - keeping a watchful eye on me.

Once I reached campus, I searched for Adelphi as she was the only person I knew on this campus. Before I could find her, though, I ran into one of the other mentors, a blonde male I recalled as Brennan.

He walked up and greeted me, remarking on how he hadn't seen me before.

"I am a new student, I remember you touring another group of students around campus yesterday." I replied at his slight confusion.

His confusion gave way to happiness as I explained my recognition of him, "I hope you are enjoying Hope Academy so far. It really is a nice place once you get used to it." He smiled.

"Is Adelphi on campus yet?"

"Mmm, not yet I don't think. She usually arrives with her sister, Winnie."

"Winnie? Does she have wings?"

"Wha- no, she isn't directly related to Adelphi. She is part of the family Adelphi was placed in. We've grown up around these people, and have taken to calling them family." He explained, patting me on the back, " by the way, nice wings."

I smirked at his remark, knowing his wings shared the same qualities as mine. We parted ways and while he continued on his way, I remained in my place.

"Don't forget to gather the necessary intel." Rii quipped. I snapped my head up towards the roof of the school, seeing her upper half poking out.

"I haven't forgotten, I'm waiting on Adelphi to arrive so I can further the investi-"

"Spera, who are you talking to, and what is it you are talking about?" Adelphi walked forward, addressing me. A quick double take ensured that Rii had disappeared from view.

"Adelphi! I've been looking for you. I ran into your friend Brennan earlier-"

"Really? Was he a huge dork?"

"Uhh, no..." I drawled out, a little offset by her demeanour. "Anyways, I was wondering if you could tell me more about the school, or maybe give me a tour of the office?"

She chuckled at the last bit of my request, nevertheless responding, "Why would you need a tour of a place you have free access to?" Leaving me speechless, she continued on;

"But I will certainly tell you more about the school, Spera. What is it you would like to know?"

Why in the world you people find it okay to live here.

"Umm, what exactly happens at 21 years old?"

"Well, to be honest, no one here knows. I haven't been able to meet any winged after their 21st birthday." Adelphi confessed.

"Then why haven't you asked the administration? Or looked further into the matter?" I pleaded, now staring into her eyes for answers.

"Spera, no one has questioned the administration, and besides all of the adult winged could have moved away. Why are you acting like this?" She showed true concern and confusion as she answered me.

"No reason, but you're a few years away from that. Don't you ever wonder exactly what the administration has in store for you?" I respond.

"Well, I have certainly thought about it," her defenses dropped, curiosity taking over her features. "The world is unkind to us, it is hard to see a pleasant future no matter where it leads. I just put my faith in the council to ensure my life does not become a horrible one once I leave."

She looked at me, flashing a brief smile before asking if I had any other questions. Upon shaking my head no, she turned away - leaving me to my thoughts.

How can I get her to open her eyes? She has been nothing but kind to me and yet, her future is unknown in this illusion.

Illusion. I would have to prove that Hope Academy was one first.

My mind made up, I took her previous words and walked into the office, a place I had previously only been able to see from the outside. Now that I could get closer, I could see how immaculate it was, almost too clean for my taste.

Several office aids tried to assist me, asking me where I was going or if I needed help. Mostly shrugging them off I continued before I mentally slapped myself.

These people know the place, idiot! They can help you...

Stopping dead in my tracks, I abruptly found someone whom I presumed to be a counselor to guide me through the guarded halls.

"Excuse me, miss..."

"Miss Juaden. What is it you need?" The young woman responded, briefly looking up from her stack of files to survey me.

"Umm, I'm one of the new students and, while my mentor did a great job showing me the campus, I failed to see the office building and I think that it is one of the places I should know, should something arise." I tell her, not a total lie. I could sense her annoyance at my inconvenience, then masked it with a remarkable smile that could have fooled even me.

"Right this way, child."