Sorting Smiles

After I take a seat next to a quiet girl who had given me an open smile I stopped to think about what the hat had said.

"You seem courageous but you will never get to where you need to be without the courage to accept the help of others. These people are a part of who you are and who you will be. This is only the beginning for you, Ms. Potter."

I feel a slight push at my shoulder and feel someone sit down beside me.

"I'm so glad we're in the same house! That cute girl that we met in Diagon Ally is with us too!" James is bouncing next to me and I laugh at how immuture he is. For the 100th time since that day he trails off rambling about Lily as he stares at her long and hard.

"I just hope the rest of my minions are with me too, especially Sirius he was so determined to-" I get cut off as his name echo's through the room. You can see his head pop up within the crowd as people part for him to move by. As he nears the stool you can see him wipe a bead of sweat off his forhead. If I was in his situation I'd be nervous too. He could get into a house he despises but make his family proud or he could make it into a house he loves and be cast out.

As he sits on the stool and the hat is lowered onto his head you could see his eyes widen with fear. They widened even more, only with confusment this time, when the hat yells out, "GRYFINDOR" before it even touches his head. As the shock fades away a large smile appears on his face. He looks over and we lock eyes as he stands up. Everyone was silent, whether it be from the fact the hat made such a quick decision on putting a Black in Gryffindor or it be from the fact this previously mentioned Black looked happy about it. He was the first Black in generations to be placed anywhere other than Slytherin.

I rise to my feet and yell, "WOO! GO SIRI!" I clapped and people cheered after me. You could see his smile widen (even though it already seemed impossible) as he straightened his back and walked toward us.

"Did you guys see that?!" He's almost yelling as he takes the open seat across from me. He pushed his hair out of his eyes.

James leans forward and stretches out, trying to reach him for a high-five as his small body leans over the table covered in gold dishes, "Way to go, dude!"

Soon it was Peter's turn. As he waddled to the stool a few people laughed at him and I actually felt pretty bad. I turned my head to look at James but he was already glaring down one of the giggling second years. I smiled then directed my attention back to the stool that Peter sat on. As the hat sat on his head there was a long pause. It was a little over two minutes later when the hat exclaimed he was Gryfindor.

He looked over at our table and waited for us to reassuringly nod out heads before he let a grin take over. Its like he was asking for permission to be happy. I wonder if this boy will ever grow up to be an independent man. Will he ever go his own way or be something other than a scared follower? Well, even if it takes years, I feel like he'll be with us for longer. We can help him make a stand even if its not until we're all old and wrinkled.

He takes a seat next to Siri who gives him a bro-hug (which Pete looked VERY uncomfortable in) and a few more people are sorted out.

Remus is the last one left at this point and he looks a little shakey as the hall no longer had the buzz of the excited first years chatter. He closes his eyes and takes a deep breath before plopping himself onto the stool. A few whispers later Remy is seated beside me at the wooden table.

The feast starts and and the five of us stay silent exchanging smiles before the boys lunge for a chicken in front of us.

Gryfindor,
huh?