Chapter 15

Blake

"I think this plan isn't well thought out." Adrian shrugged and a moment later Archer, our good friend from our military times knocked, Adrian greeted him with a hug, he's after all our brother in arms.

He looked around with a set frown.

"It's been a long time since I've been here." He smiled at me with a thoughtful expression, it's been a long time for sure.

He got his sniper bag and Adrian explained to him where he wants him to set up, on the roof of the building beside us, so that he could have a clear view of me thanks to my glass walls(I never really expected to be bullet bait so of course, they are not bulletproof)

"Maybe Anatra won't come tonight."

"Well he can't really afford to stroll around in the streets when our detective friend has enough uniforms looking for him so he's going to be undercover"

"Is our guy alright?" Adrian nodded.

"Yes I checked in with him, it's just a flesh wound, a deep flesh wound but he'll be okay, he can still walk."

"I really hope that he's made Anatra's fingers disappear, we don't want our detective friend figuring out that we're not so innocent." Adrian let out a low chuckle.

Suddenly I heard a crack from the window, then an explosion and shards of glass shooting in all directions. I felt a sharp sting on my shoulder, I looked down and saw blood pouring out of the wound as I clutched it.

"Blake! Archer did you get him?" He asked through an ear piece, things became a jumble and it became fuzzy.

The last thing I remember hearing was

"Ei ei, one through the leg, one through the head-sorry about the delay." That delay caused me a bullet in the shoulder. Bastard.

Darkness took over, I couldn't fight it anymore because of the amount of blood I could still feel on my shirt and whatever I was laying on being soaked.

My eyes opened swiftly, I scanned the room, it looked clean, sharp lighting surrounding me, everything in a pure white. I turned my heard around when things started becoming clearer, I was in my own private room.Hospital room.

My first thought was 'fucking oww" I turned to my throbbing shoulder and looked at the bandages. The door opened and a nurse came in, she looked at me sympathetically, I wonder what Adrian has told them, not that I was shot by a known hit man and mafia boss, no I don't think so.

"How are you feeling?" She peered over at me and then at the chart.

"Fine" My voice came out raspy.

"You're lucky, the bullet was stuck in the shoulder blade and all of it could be removed, all the nerves seem to be intact and it missed the coronary artery by a hair-I think someone up there likes you." They really have no reason to like me, remember that I'm equal to the devil's spawn so maybe it was someone down there looking out for me.

Moments later after the nurse left, Adrian came in.

"Told you so" Is the first thing he says to me, he was right about Anatra coming for me, I guess that sorry sap didn't think that we'd do much , or if he thought we had a plan he had no men to help him , most of them already 10 feet deep, widows crying over their accountant husbands being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

His last mission was to kill me and, rest his soul, he thinks that he has.

Blake Stone doesn't go out with such a low-level mere thump, one day I'll have my BANG.

"Have you talked to Juliet or Ava?" He shook his head, I peered up at the screen that flashed news images of me being in the hospital.

"How long exactly have I been out?"

"A day, one full day of me lying my ass off to make sure that everyone dear to us stays there and that no blue uniforms are suspicious, did you know Archer can really act out a fake cry? Man, I was even stunned, the policemen were stunned. No Marine would cry if they were out hunting a mob man"

I could only imagine Archer, he had a fury of red hair and stubble chin(always) and looked like a lumberjack, crying did not fit this image. This would have anyone believing him, surely even the police.

"Can you call Juliet, I want her to know that I'm fine, she must be going crazy right now, I don't want anything to happen to her or the baby." He nodded and walked away, I'd talk to her a bit later, for now, I just wanted her with me, in my paining arms.

He came back.

"So are they coming back?"I asked agitatedly.

"No. I don't want Juliet or Ava around at this time, Anatra is dead, it just seems a bit too easy for me, too predictable."

"I want to make sure they're fine"

"Me too but it's the best for now if we didn't see them. No war was won in a day and I think this is just the beginning." I had to admit he's right, I have a gut feeling that more is coming,

"I just need to talk to her" He tossed his phone at me, very well knowing I can't catch and then shuffled out. I held my breath as I dialed her number.

"Adrian?" She sounded like she just woke up.

"Blake."

"Blake! Are you okay, the news says that you're badly hurt and critical." I could hear her breath becoming ragged and even her heart speeding up.

"Hey, I'm okay, my dear, I'm okay- don't worry about me."

"I miss you, it's been just a day and I miss you, .you sound very alive for someone who's been shot."

"Just a flesh wound, nothing big, I miss you too, I know you're not sure about what's going on but I'll explain it to you when I see you again, you're going to hate me ." She ignored my warning.

"Why can't we come home, this impromptu vacation is all fine and dandy but I want to come home."

"You just can't, I'll make sure you guys are safe where you are but here it isn't that safe right now, take care of our baby, we'll be fine, I'll call you every day," I said goodbye and hung up, I didn't know how to explain this to her, I couldn't do it over the phone and I'd have to start at the beginning as to why we're in this mess right now.

I tried sitting up, a shot of pain coursed through me. I clenched my teeth in pain and sat up. It's just a "flesh wound" that got stuck in my shoulder blade is all. I threw the comforter off me and slung my legs over the edge, the nurse came back.

"Mr. Stone, you can't be moving around now, you need to rest"

"I'll rest when I'm dead, which is going to be soon if I don't get out of here, I'm going home" One look and she turned away walking out the door, Adrian came in again and his walking around, in and out made me even more agitated.

"What did you do to the poor nurse, she said that you weren't listening" He scolded me like he was a teacher.

"I've no time for this hospital shit, I can rest at home, do they know who I am?" Adrian nodded his head.

"Actually I think they tipped off the bloody press, they gossip like crazy around here." All the more reason to get out of here.

"Tell Uncle Gustav to have a quick press conference telling the press that I'm still alive, I don't need to worry about my business going under right now, and then I'm getting out of here"

"You're the boss, after all, you actually do need to rest, you didn't dream that they dug out a bullet from your scapula."

"I first have to make sure that this war is ended, and soon, I'm more worried about my babies than my scapula, you should be worried about Ava, but then again-I'm preaching to the bachelor choir."

"We...it's....complicated."

"You've got no idea what complicated is."

This is just the beginning of a war, I can feel it.