Prologue

"The optimist thinks this is the best of all possible worlds. The pessimist fears it is true." -J. Robert Oppenheimer

The walls seemed to be closing in on Jamie as she sat in the same room she'd been in for three weeks; comprehending what the guard just told her.

"If you behave, you can tell them goodbye."

Her eyes focused on the black dot by the door, one lone black circle that she had drawn when she first got deposited in the room. Her thoughts centered on the one statement that stuck with her the most. The words continuously circled through her mind on an endless loop, one that she was sure would eventually drive her crazy.

"If you behave, you can tell them goodbye."

Goodbye. The one thing she was never able to say to her parents before they were taken from her. Now, as she sits in the space box with her back against the wall she's forced to accept the reality of it all.

The three people she considers family are going to be taken from her, permanently. Although she, herself, is a delinquent, they won't let her go on the "classified mission" with her family. Her mind stresses over the possibility that she'll never see them again but also on the fact that she'll still be trapped on the Ark. Trapped in the world that has slowly driven her to the edge. The fear within her screams that without her family to keep her in check, she won't survive this world.

She shook her head, even though she sat alone, refusing either of those possibilities. She knew what had to happen and in order for her plan to work she would have to take full advantage of the goodbye that she was promised.