Chapter Nine: Lost in the Wilderness

The fire crackled loudly as the noise of the delinquents finally died down, most of them heading in for the night. Octavia's head rested on Jamie's shoulder while Jamie's rested on Octavia's as both girls laid back by the fire, head to head, looking up at the stars. They'd been laying there since the incident with the wristbands after Jamie headed back to their tent to find the girl laying on Jamie's cot with a blank expression.

Jamie drug her out of the tent and they'd been talking and laughing as they watched the night around them.

"Hey Jay, you think they're all still up there?"

Jamie considered Octavia's words carefully before she replied. "Monty asked me that the other day. I told him yes." Jamie paused before continuing, Octavia's eyes flickered to her briefly. "He was asking about his parents and I do think they're up there. I hope they are at least. Do I think everyone up there is still alive though? No."

"Aside from Abby is there anyone up there for you?"

Jamie's gaze flickered to Octavia. "I was never close to Monty or Jasper's parents but that doesn't mean I want something to happen to them. And there's a lot of good people up there. But there's no one for me. Do I miss my mother? Of course." She shifted nervously before looking back at Octavia. "But Clarke needs her far more than I do. I needed my father, I was closer to him so..." She cleared her throat as her eyes teared up. "It'll be good to see her though and I know we need her help down here."

"What happened to your mother?" Octavia spoke softly but her words still jarred something inside of Jamie. Jamie took a deep breath as the tears started slowly trickling down her face.

Octavia cleared her throat and shook her head. "You don't have to tell me I just know...I know there was an altercation with some guards and that's why...that's why you stepped in to help me."

Tears streamed down Jamie's cheeks and she reached up to wipe them off. "She um..." She cleared her throat and moved to where she lay beside Octavia and grasped her hand tightly, her head resting on Octavia's shoulder and their heads pressed against each other's. "A guard attacked her one night. Took advantage of her weakness after I was born. He knew my father had passed and my mother didn't really have anyone so..." She cleared her throat and Octavia squeezed her hand as Jamie continued. "She told me...she told me to never trust them because they'll just take advantage of you. So when I saw you...I saw him holding you...I couldn't let him take you Tay. You were so young and so scared and he...I didn't want him taking advantage of you too."

Octavia rolled on her side and wrapped her arms around Jamie's waist. "Thank you. I've never properly thanked you for saving me but you did. And I've always wondered why. Everyone looked at me like I was a disgrace once I was discovered but you...you risked yourself for me and you didn't even think twice about it. And then we come down here and you continue to do it."

Jamie smiled lightly as she wrapped her own arm around Octavia's shoulder. "I never regretted it you know. I never thought that I'd take that back even when I was locked up. I always thought that if I had the chance I'd do it again."

Something bright caught her eye then and her mouth dropped. "Tay, look."

Octavia looked up where Jamie pointed and both girls slowly rose to their feet, still clinging to one another. "What is that?"

"It's too small to be a dropship so it has to have supplies or something on it." Both girls smiled at each other before they were joined by others.

"Check it out!" One of the kids yelled out, causing more delinquents to come out of their tents.

"Bellamy! Get out here!"